cold water aquariums, keeping them cold

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Steveweast, I just wanted to say that that boxfish you've got is one of the coolest I've ever seen. I've never seen anything like that before. Also, I was just curious about the same quote Nikki mentioned which I have pasted below. Do you have any full shots of what your tank looks like? I'd love to know how your tank looks without all of the stuff we need for our warmer temp tanks. Thanks.

Minimal lighting is needed.....no coralline algae..... no fish disease..... no Ca/alk additions needed..... except for the power required for the chiller, much less power is needed ( high light and high flow is not necessary).

There's really nothing much to see right now (but, soon there will be)...like I said, there's only my boxfish, a couple of rocks, some Catalina gobies, and some red Watah anemones...which are all cold water. I'm trying to obtain some strawberry polyp rock to form the reef....but, it's not easy....but, I'm getting closer.

The reason that the cold water systems are easier to run is that there are no calcifying corals to suck up the Ca or the Alk.....the cold water also just slows everything down...like metobolic rates. Cold water fish diseases are extremely rare. Most of the specimens are not photosynthetic....so, strong lighting is not needed.....you just need to keep non photosynthetic specimens that are large enough to target feed with cyclopeze or larger foods. The algae that does grow easily wipes off since it is not calcium based....or, use a little Rowaphos and eliminate that too. I only run one return pump that is split between the two tanks and a Deltec ap600 skimmer that sits in the sump. The only real negative is that after wiping down the front panel, my arm is pretty numb from the cold water.

The only real negative is that after wiping down the front panel, my arm is pretty numb from the cold water.

LOL. Well, I think it's cool you are using a different approach from everyone else. Can't wait to get an idea of what it looks like when you are finished setting things up.

It's really not a different approach....most cold water tanks are very basic compared with our sps reefs. I consulted with the owner of Pacific Coast Imports. He used to be the main supplier of cold water specimens for many public aquariums....but now, he is focusing his business on the warm water stuff where the market is larger. To me, cold water reefs could rival our warm water reefs in popularity if there were just a live stock supplier. It's a "catch 22" thing....no suppliers because there are no hobbiests....and no hobbiests because there are no suppliers. The cold water hobby used to be bigger years ago; but, the chiller aspect kind of killed it....but now, that our reefs have become so complicated....those cold water reefs are looking very easy and economical to run. As I explored the cold water options, I was amazed as to what was actually out there.....and I'm pretty hard to impress. My warm water set up can be found here.... www.oregonreef.com.

Here's another example of a cold water boxfish that is out there:

Aracana_aurita.jpg

That tank on that link is unbelievable OMG! Why haven't you showcased it here or have I missed something. That is honestly one of the nicest tank setups I have ever seen. Did you do all of the aquascaping yourself? If you have, you've done a really great job. I'm ready to take my tank down now and pitch it in the road (LOL)

Yep....that's my baby....I did it all myself. I really don't post that much as you can tell from my post count being 13 and registered over 2 years ago..

i am thinking go to cold water tank some day,maybe soonner than i expected,,steve,,,,just alot of your idea,,,maybe i will try to used puget sound for my supplier first?,,what you think steve?,,,got everythings i needed ,,chiller ,double glass tank,when i moved all my sps to new 240gals tank,(still in processing of setting up),just the thought?,,,start to be very interesting.

Last edited:
I thought everyone had seen Steve's tank; and his worm, lol. Maybe that didn't come out right...

I've thought about setting up a coldwater tank for years, but never have for some reason. I first got the bug when I saw the tidal pools at Cannon Beach, OR. The Giant Green Anemones (Anthopleura xanthogrammica) are pretty awesome when they get big. Most people, even here in the Pacific Northwest, have no idea the amount of life in our waters; it's just too damn cold to jump in and see it. :)

Dang, I still haven't seen your tropical reef; but from what I hear it's pretty awesome. Why not have one of each? lol

Clayton

Dang,

I will help you set up a new warm water and move the animals. I will personally dive the Puget Sound for your cold-water animals. Ever since I saw your tank I have wanted to help you convert it back to a local cold-water system. In trade for some of your awesome Phad Thai; worth the trip to Redmond!

steveweast said:
The tanks and sump are made from 1" thick acrylic and NEVER sweat so much as a drop or even form a film or haze.

Steve - is the sweating more common with tanks constructed of less thickness? Would any smaller than 1" acrylic cause issues? Thanks

Nikki....it's all about insulation. I not sure where the cut off thickness would be....you don't want a cold surface hitting warm moist air. When you place your hand against my cold tank, you wouldn't know that it was a cold water tank....until you put your hand into the water.

thank you for the offer,,you are the man,,wilbe contact when.,,and a lot of Phad Thai for you :)
aquariumdebacle said:
Dang,

I will help you set up a new warm water and move the animals. I will personally dive the Puget Sound for your cold-water animals. Ever since I saw your tank I have wanted to help you convert it back to a local cold-water system. In trade for some of your awesome Phad Thai; worth the trip to Redmond!

Wow!!!, That is sooo beautiful Steve. Thank you for shareing that. I guess I really need to thank you. My wife gave the thumbs up for a bigger tank after looking at your tank. Though, I think I am just going to be patient, Learn how to take care of my 35g tank. Make my mistakes, and when I have this tank running like a charm. I will then upgrade. All I know, is I am going to make sure I move slowly. Learn everything I can about each fish/coral/invertabrate I purchase.

Actually, all of you that have shared your tank with us have inspired everyone to make the best of our tanks. Its like going to a Aquarium exibit and seeing an aqua scape for the first time, with every pic you all post.

99% of the diving me and west oz reef do is in cold water oceans i have seen all the stuff u keep in ur tank on a regular basis meybe ill have to set one up now because i have access to everything and could catch fish and inverts my self

i would highly recommend a port jackson shark they are one of the best sharks imo to keep they stay fairly small and a more of a true shark compared to the cat sharks or bamboo sharks

also im not sure if i would agree with slower flow as more often then not the swell is pretty big and alot of surfer surf where we dive there is alot of wave breakage and sum of the reefs u have to swim through the breaking waves and around them and u can see sum times for the bubbles

Back