Collecting on Gulf Coast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

j.and

I live in the Houston, Tx area and was at the beach in Galveston yesterday afternoon. Along the jettys I found there was small tide pools developing as the tide went out. In some of these pools I found alot of life: peppermint shrimp(over 50 in one small pool) rock anenomes, feather dusters, small black and brown gobies, and small crabs. What I was wondering is what precautions should you take in order to introduce some of these to your own tank?? Does anyone on here live in the Houston area and collect anything on their own??? Thanks.........

I'm form La, nothing off the beach around here I would keep but that is just me, but these creatures most probably could be QTed them & kept like any others.

I live in the Bahamas and collect stuff in tidepools or directly out of the ocean all the time. I agree with quarentining anything because you don't know what bad thing you could be adding to your tank like parasites, diseases etc. I am guilty of not doing just that (putting things into quarentine) eventhough I know better :oops: and I have been a bit lucky so far (except for one time I introduced bubble algae into my tank) , but I'm sure if I keep it up, my luck will one day run out so I'd say better safe than sorry and put whatever into quarentine for a few weeks:)

If you want to see a few things from out of the wild here in tidepools etc, click on the photo album link in my signature. :)

Go to marshreef.com. It's the local reef club for Houston, Tx. Under the general forum there is a sticky about what/when to collect from the coast. It's rather helpful. HTH

Just put Galveston sand in my tank. Love the look and texture, but apparently it is ground up granite and the silicate is sharper that the crushed coral type sands you purchase. It can harm sand sifting creatures

Back