collecting Sponges to feed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

I don't know if I am the only one doing this but I have been collecting local New York encrusting sponges to feed to moorish Idols. Most of my fish do not eat it except the moorish Idol loves it as do the clown gobies. Lately my bangai gobi also eats it. While diving in the South Pacific, sponges was all I ever saw Moorish Idols eat so I decided to collect it here. I am sure New York sponge does not resemble their natural sopnge diet but since he loves it so much and it is easy to collect and freeze I use it. It looks disguesting and grows on pilings and docks all over the north east including on my boat. I just take it and freeze it as it comes out of the water with no preparation. It has seaweed, starfish, crabs and small shrimp all over it and they get frozen with the sponge. I just scrape a little off to feed. The Idol will eat as much as I give him.
Have a great day.
Paul

I feed seaweed, kelp, sponges, pods, small shrimp, and all sorts of stuff that I can easily find at the tacoma and seattle water front.

I've never tried freezeing any though, due to our mild climate, its fairly easy to harvest through all seasons, and I've never fed is as a regular thing. I just like to keep the variety high on the diets of my reefs.

I've tried your banana advice, and everything but the royal grammas chomped it down.

I really appreciate your out-of-the-box type input on tank care. There is nothing special about simply perpetuateing SQ methods.

Paul,
How long you been keeping Moorish Idols? I have tried to keep them in the past but after two unsuccessful tries had to give up. I live in Brooklyn, NY, right next to the Ocean. The idea of freezing the North Atlantic sponge sounds too appealing not too try this again. If this diet helps to keep Moorish Idols alive and well, than I am willing to try again. Thanks for the tip.
Can you advise or provide any other tips for Idols keeping?

Scubabr, I am not too far from Brooklyn (I was born there) I collect the sponge on docks and pilings, they are fairly common and they freeze well. I have been keeping Idols on and off for about 25 years and I dove with them in French Polynesia for a week. The most important thing is to be sure they are eating in the store. They also need to be fed a few times a day. Three would be about right. I use an automatic feeder for one of the feedings and use pellets for that. The other feedings are all sorts of things including mysis, bananas, garlic, worms, amphipods, clams, sponge, nori and avacado.
It seems to be working so far.
Besides that, that water off Brooklyn is great for any of your fish. I use a lot of it.
Paul

Paul,
Thanks for reply and advice.
I keep marine aquariums for almost 20 years.
Recently I moved in to Oceana condominiums community. It’s located on Brighton Beach Ave. in Brooklyn and my building is about 500' from the water line.
I have ordered custom made 120 gallon bow front tank and currently in the process of setting it in my apartment. I wonder what you mean by saying "water off Brooklyn is great for any of your fish. I use a lot of it".
Do you mean that you use ocean water in your tank?
The thoughts of using ocean water had crossed my mind few times but I was always advised not to do this.
Please let me know of the water mix process. What are the percentages of the ocean water in your mix (50% - 100%).
I am planning a reef tank and wonder if this water will be suitable for corals.
I also would love to chat with you on the phone one day and ask more questions (that if you don't mine)
Thanks again and looking forward for more tips and advices from marine tanks veteran keeper.

Scubabr, yes I mean to use ocean water right from Brooklyn in your reef.
I have been doing it for over 35 years. If you can use it right away (and I know you can) just filter it through a coffee filter or diatom filter, check the salinity (it's probably low and may need salt) heat it up and dump it in your tank. I use about 25% NSW but I would use 100% if I was a little closer to the water. My boat is in the Sound and I don't have a trailer so it is a long haul from the marina to my house. I once started an entire store with 100% Long Island Sound water with no treatment whatsoever.
I will Message you my phone number.
Take care.
Paul

Paul, this is grate. I will try to use as much ocean water as possible. I want to call you asking advice about protein skimmer in the refugium sump setup. I have never used skimmer before and not sure what it will do for me and how to connect it and fit within available sump space. Thanks again and I will call you soon.

Don't forget to tell people that great advice you had about Moorish Idols needing to be kept in pairs... I have only been snorkeling once but was lucky enough to see a pair off the coast of Puerto Vallarta and they did just what you describe-male leads female. It was such an amazing experience to see them. They didn't socialize with any other fish and I probably won't ever keep one myself after watching them, but I am glad you have figured it out so others will do it right in the future.
I also am on Puget Sound, I have collected plankton and algae here and really need to do that more often (though will skip the plankton as much of it turned out to be rotting debris). We also have invasive large cool looking tunicates that a marine biologist told me he just snaps off the pilings and puts in his tropical tank. Think I might do that and then sell a batch of them to the LFS! :)
Kate

Back