Colt coral issues?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markutj

I have this colt coral for about 2 months and others before. I noticed recently at the base it turning white on the edges . It however still seems to open up pretty normal. Never noticed before is this normal or is there a problem? All parameters seem fine i do run my salintiy a little low not sure it would cause this its at about 1.020 to 1.021. i use 2 part bionic for my reef and add little extra iodine since i have several mushroom coral. Any way i would appreciate any advice LFS wasn't real helpful thanks.

I would suggest raising your salinity to 1.024 to 1.026. Lower salinity is fine for fish but corals do not tend to do well with it. You have very hardy corals right now so they should survive it but they will be much happier with the higher levels of salt :)

Colt coral comes in many colors so unless the color of the base has changed it should not be a problem. Colts can be very aggresive corals especialy towards leather corals.

PS do you have test kits for iodine? I would not ever recomend adding anything to your tank unless you can test the levels. A little extra is beneficial. Too much can be toxic. This also goes for calcium, magnisium and any other suppliments.

Happy reefing :) When your post count gets higher be sure to post some pictures (we all love pictures)

I agree i should raise salinity i find that shrooms really multiply at lower salitnity rates. I do need to check parameters better since moving had to go to two smaller tanks since the devorce just dont want to set up the big ones and tear down again not used to the sudden changes in smaller volumes of water. will send some pics of current tanks and my old tanks thanks for info,

Yes we do all love pics. Welcome to RF. Glad you stopped in. I agree w/Derbird. Raise you salinity and stop dosing iodine. Regular water changes will supply your soft coral with everything they need.
Again welcome to RF and look forward to seeing and hearing more from you.

Oh, and you might do a good size water change, just in case the iodine level has gotten too high.

well convinced that the coral is rotting from base up still losing color turning to white even look like it may be coming off rock a little in one corner. Should i see if it will pull out of it the rest looks good coming out beautiful just inch or so around base seems be going bad. Thinking of fragging the tops to save most of it. Any suggestions raised salitnity did water change had fish store check water.

Last edited:
well convinced that the coral is rotting from base up still losing color turning to white even look like it may be coming off rock a little in one corner. Should i see if it will pull out of it the rest looks good coming out beautiful just inch or so around base seems be going bad. Thinking of fragging the tops to save most of it. Any suggestions raised salitnity did water change had fish store check water.

I would frag it and get the base ofit out of the tank. It may have gotten a bacterial infection and/or a fungus of some kind.

Well put the colt coral in a separate tank and try to ride it out. It now has turned around and is recovering nicely. just didnt want to start fragging it till i really thought i had to. glad i waited it is looking great . Still thanks for the help.

Back