Colt Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pod24aqua

:confused:I have had 2 colt corals and they both died within 4 weeks of being introduced into the aquarium. They look healthy for about 2 weeks, then start to droop and then begin to slowly die. I have checked my water and there is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I have 2 chromis, a scooter blenny and clown and they are doing fine. I keep the aquarium temp between 78 & 80.5 F. Any ideas what cause them to die?

need more
calcium
magnesium
ALK
lighting
any new additions?
What changes have you made to your tank how old is the tank?

Do you supplement Iodine and what how much flow do you have in your tank? What other corals or inverts do you have in your tank? The more information you can give us will help us with our suggestions.

My aquarium has been up since March of this year. I have been treating the water with iodine, moly,iodine, calcium, alkalinity, pH contol, but not regularly. Probably 1 or 2 times a month. Havent checked phosphates. Where do they come from?
Salinity is maintained within the acceptable range on the hydrometer.
I have no other corals. Had one shrimp that also died.

Do you test for iodine? Stuff can be very fatal even in small amounts. Shrimp death could be a precursor to too much iodine?

Where do you/How do you get your water? Ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, are good and you are still having problems, a few things i would test is for copper, phos, ph/kh. What are you using for lighting.
Phosphates come from many things like bad unfiltered water due to agriculture run off, freeze some dried foods, unprocessed fish waste in a heavily stocked tank, caused me a lot of problems in the beginning, I had a hard time keeping any inverts or corals. When I fixed that problem everything started going a lot easier.

Back