Come pick my brain...I know there are more beginners out there.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ahhh ! I had read somewhere that lights must be out during the cycle. Guess there has to be an algae bloom from the dissolved organics.... BTW is Great Stuff® Pond & Stone Filler, Sealer and Adhesive the product you were using for assembling rock ?

I would run your light too during your rock cycle. (you dont need to)This will stimulate the "light induced algae cycle" I have noticed with new rock it will go brown and gross, then go to a cool light green haze, and then the coraline and other cool effects kick in at about 6-12 months

Ahhh ! I had read somewhere that lights must be out during the cycle. Guess there has to be an algae bloom from the dissolved organics.... BTW is Great Stuff® Pond & Stone Filler, Sealer and Adhesive the product you were using for assembling rock ?

Yep red can..yellow writing. Just teh expanding foam stuff.

I have used the two part stick epoxy (where you roll it to mix the internal and external colors) with no issues at all. For adhesive on rocks I always do it while they are dry and use great stuff the foam or pond stuff. For acrylic I use weldon and for glass I used Momentive 103. i have used momentive to build my 200 gallon cube, weldon to build my sump and great stuff to bond my rocks together without any adverse actions at all.

You allow LR to dry out before stacking in the tank ? Thought that it had to be kept wet to prevent copepods etc. in it from dying off ? I would guess the procedure would be to assemble the LR structure dry in the tank prior to filling, correct ?

Last edited:
I have 2 questions about RODI water.

1) When the DI container for the resin starts to create an open space/channel, should I top off the resin, change it out completely, or leave it alone? If leave it alone, when should I replace or top off?

2) The container I use to mix water gets this brown film after I've made water a few times. I'm assuming it's from the brown resin. Do I need to wash this out, and if yes, is this something I need to keep on top of after every mix?

Thanks for the help!

1) When the DI container for the resin starts to create an open space/channel, should I top off the resin, change it out completely, or leave it alone? If leave it alone, when should I replace or top off?

2) The container I use to mix water gets this brown film after I've made water a few times. I'm assuming it's from the brown resin. Do I need to wash this out, and if yes, is this something I need to keep on top of after every mix?

Thanks for the help!

1.) Someone may correct me, but I would remove the canister and stir the DI resin to close the channel. Change it out when you water starts testing out of desired ranges.

2.) I wash my containers out every couple months. Do you have a constant source of agitation in the water? I keep small pumps running 24/7 to keep the water aerated and prevent it from going stagnant. You could be getting a form of cyano along the walls if this keeps occurring for you. I don't ever seem to get this film like you are talking about in my storage containers.

Recently added 2 clowns to my tank and they are not eating.I went back and they gave me some hatchery food from company that they get em from and they are still not eating.Got them on Fri and its Tue today and still havent ate a thing.One of the clowns ate a tiny piece of brine shrimp yesterday but thats all.Im a bit concerned any ideas on what to feed em or what to do to get em to eat?"Thanks

Recently added 2 clowns to my tank and they are not eating.I went back and they gave me some hatchery food from company that they get em from and they are still not eating.Got them on Fri and its Tue today and still havent ate a thing.One of the clowns ate a tiny piece of brine shrimp yesterday but thats all.Im a bit concerned any ideas on what to feed em or what to do to get em to eat?"Thanks

Make sure your water test out ok and they aren't having other issues, make sure they are in a quite location, don't over feed they may be eating when your not looking.

Thanks for the help!

If your resin canister channels you need a new container that works properly. In the long run it will save you grief and money. You can get an add on chamber from the filterguys cheap.

Don

If your resin canister channels you need a new container that works properly. In the long run it will save you grief and money. You can get an add on chamber from the filterguys cheap.

Don

Thanks Don. I didn't realize that either.

Not sure I understand the question. I use AI SOLs and they cover a 24x24 area the depth will be determined by optics.

Yes one AI Sol will cover a 24x24x16 area with good results. You will be able to keep high light demanding corals in the center most part of the tank and lower light corals (still SPS though) towards the edges. The interior 4 pucks are 40* optics and the exterior 4 are 70*.

Can I use a DI canister for make up and top off water as a stand alone water maker or is the Rodi system the only way.I was told there is a resin refill/charge place in shoreline,I know I would need a tds meter

You need the Reverse osmosis part more than the DI part if you were going to have to choose. Just get a RODi if possible. thefilterguys.biz is a great source and very affordable.

Back