Compact Fluorescents

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

Went by Home Depot today looking at the compact fluor bulbs. How do you know the Kelvin rating on a bulb that says daylight, soft white, warm white?

The Home Depot "Lights of America" PC bulbs that some reefkeepers use are labeled 6500K, but they are really too red shifted to be a decent bulb for a reeftank. Many people however use them over photosynthetic sumps...

MikeS

I don't know about home depot lights because unfortunately, the Bahamas doesn't have a home depot. I wondered the same thing as well about the the color temperature of a bulb. In any event, I use 6700k over my sump, if it helps any:)

I just google temperature of a compact flourescent and found this. HTH:)

Temperature: The Kelvin temperature of a fluorescent bulb indicates whether it brings out the cool, blue end of the color spectrum or the red, warm end of the spectrum.

Warm Color temperature 3000 – 4000 degrees Kelvin
Brings out the natural tones in wood, skin and food
Ideal for kitchens, bathrooms and offices

Cool
Color temperature 4000 – 5000 degrees Kelvin
Clean, white light for general use
Perfect for utility rooms, garages and basements

Daylight Color temperature +6000 degrees Kelvin
Bright light with true color rendering
For galleries, retail stores and restaurants

The kelvin rating assigned to a particualr bulb can be somewhat general and vauge...blubs of different types and manufacturers with similar kelvin ratings can have a wide range of different spectral properties. The Home Depot 6500K PC bulbs most often reffered to have a reputation of feuling algae growth when used over a reef tank. Granted this is anecdotal evidence, but it seems the general concensus of what I've read about them is that they are more well suited for use over a fuge with algae.

MikeS

I've been using the Home Depot 6500k bulb for a couple years and have had real good success with it, but I did order some of the 5100k bulbs that melev said seems to work better. Haven't got them yet.

i've got the lights of america thing, i got it off ebay and the dude kinda jipped me and doesn't respond any more, but i just haven't gotten the time to rewire it, mine's an outdoor security light running at 65watt pc 6500k i don't think it has a normal plug but i really need to look at it
you can get it at homedepot in bellevue for about $20, i paid $26 for a similiar item but they gave me the $20 one...

MikeS said:
The Home Depot "Lights of America" PC bulbs that some reefkeepers use are labeled 6500K, but they are really too red shifted to be a decent bulb for a reeftank. Many people however use them over photosynthetic sumps...

MikeS

What is "red shifted"???

That's the first time I ever heard of that term, did you make it up?

DD

dapperdan said:
What is "red shifted"???

That's the first time I ever heard of that term, did you make it up?

DD

Hmmm...I suppose so...:lol: That means that a lot of the light produced is in the red end of the spectrum...

MikeS

If you want a bulb for your fuge that you dont have to order, go to walmart. I bought a "lights of america" screw in bulb there for under $9. Its in a blue package if I remember correctly. The bulb is kinda coned shaped, and on the back of the package it is listed as a 6500k temp. also its a 135W output bulb, grows cheato like crazy in my fuge. BTW do not buy the bulb in the yellow package, the color temp will be listed on the correct bulb...

HTH

I thnk redshifted is an excellent term. The light we see is made up of a range of light colours mixed together. As lightbulbs age, it is the blue components that age fastest. So it would appear that an old bulb has 'redshifted' as well as losing intensity

Back