Compatability help Please.Do i need to get rid of a few?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

So ill start by talking about the tank. I have a 75 gallon with about 125-150 lbs live rock. i Have a cpr Sump/refugium with an eheim 1262 return pump. A tunze 9010 skimmer. 2 Hydor Koralia 4s and a t5 6 bulb light fixture.
I am hypo in the tank right now and when im done i have some soft corals i have purchased and left at the lfs for when im done with the parasite cleanup. Ich to be exact.

I know i need to make a few changes before i move to this soft coral reef.
Here are the fish i currently have.
Black Dalmation Puffer 6-8 inches had for 2 years
Humu humu Trigger 3-4" had for 2 years
Harlequin Tusk Wrasse 3-4"had for 4 mon
Blue angel 2-3" had for 4 months
Flame fin tang 3-4" had for 1 month
Purple Tang 3-4" had for 2 months

Im thinking that i want to add 2 True perculas when i go with the soft coral with an rbta and for fish that will be it.
I know everyone has an opinion on how many fish and bioload but i do a 20-30 gallon water change a week. Tank has been healthy for 2 years no major problems.
I think the puffer will be a nipper at soft corals, leathers and such so im thinking i will have to part with one of the coolest fish ive ever had.Also the trigger im thinking will be a problem with corals as well. But ive heard there are some triggers that should be reef safe but also have a cool look to them.
I just am looking for some ideas if geting rid of the trigger and puffer would be advised. I know that as some of the other fish i have get bigger i will have to part with them but for now i just need some suggestions. The 2 tangs i have are relatively small and wont outgrow the current tank for a while. And by then i might have upgraded.

Please no your irresponsible remarks with how many fish just need some suggestions.
Thanks
Scott

Seems to me that a 75G with over 125lbs of LR wouldnt have much swim room. IMO you have some hard choices to make. Yes, you need to get rid of a few fish. As far as most people are concerned, most, if not all of your fish are or will be too big for a 75. I feel a bit guilty keeping three juvenile tangs in my 210 for that matter.

Hate to say it, but not a single fish you have is small enough to be in a 75....by themselves. Each one of them, by themselves, needs a much larger tank. The group combined should be in something on the order of a 300 or so!!

Some Triggers are somewhat reef safe...namely the Niger Trigger. Huma Huma is definitely NOT reef safe.

You're right that the Puffer is also NOT reef safe at all.

Tusk and Angel are also NOT reef safe at all.

I agree with Sid.

Not only are all of your fish not considered "reef safe", but they will get too large for that tank and it will be considerably crowded. With your current fish list you would no be able to support any clean up crew. They'd all be lunch :)

You might be able to keep the tangs.

So, here's a suggestion....although it'll cost you more money...lol. Turn your existing tank into a reef tank. Purchase a tank in the range of 300 or larger, and turn it into a FO tank with your existing fish. You've got some great fish there and it'd be a shame to get rid of them. But it'll also be a shame to have them in too small of an environment or munch your reef tank to oblivion.

So, here's a suggestion....although it'll cost you more money...lol. Turn your existing tank into a reef tank. Purchase a tank in the range of 300 or larger, and turn it into a FO tank with your existing fish. You've got some great fish there and it'd be a shame to get rid of them. But it'll also be a shame to have them in too small of an environment or munch your reef tank to oblivion.

100% agree here. The 2 tangs and the trigger would be the only "temparary" fish that should (that I feel) be kept for the time being in the 75gal. Of course, I would think that within a year or two, these too could out grow the tank. Not trying to bash on you by any means, but just trying to help you be a responsible tank owner so you can give your fish the best home you can without giving the ocean. I hope this can help.

Thanks and good luck :)

-augustus

Totally agree with all of the above. However, look at the bright side, you REALLY want that 210-300 gal, don't you? Afterall, your fish will love you for it.

I agree that i need to find a good home for a few of them. And i will do that But i dont agree that they need to be in a big tank when they are small / Juveniles. You can keep a purple tang in a 75-100 gallon tank for quite awhile. I mainly have bought fish as juveniles and as they get bigger i move on to smaller ones. And find homes for the ones who seem to be getting to big. this is definetly a hobby. When i can have a lfs come over and maintenance and keep up with the tank of 300 gallons thats when i will move up. Until then ill stick to a smaller less maintenance tank. I wouldnt mind a 100 gallon to 120 but thats as high as i would want to go on my own. Unless i didnt ever have to travel or go see other places for work. And i didnt like sports so much. Maybe after the way things are going ill sell my Season tickets to the seahawks for the rest of the year. And Buy a bigger tank? Prob not i cant give up im a seattle fan through and through.
Thanks for the suggestons ive listed a few of the fish mentioned in this post.

The only problem with this theory is that larger fish are harder to re-home. Partly because people do exactly what you do. Also because people with larger tanks usually already have them full enough and don't want larger fish. It kind of like fresh water Pacus. People purchase them, not realizing that they can get 3' long and weigh 60 pounds. Then when they outgrow their tanks, no one wants them...so the fish suffer. Another problem is that while a Purple Tang might be small enough in body size to be kept in a smaller tank, even at a small size, it needs LOTS of room to swim. Room that smaller tanks just don't provide. Saw your sale ad and hope you're able to sell them.

I see where you and others are coming from but i have had no trouble finding homes for any of the fish ive had. And i dont wait till there to big. Its worked out fine for me and the feedback from the People that have picked them up have all been positive. But thanks for your input.

I see where you and others are coming from but i have had no trouble finding homes for any of the fish ive had. And i dont wait till there to big. Its worked out fine for me and the feedback from the People that have picked them up have all been positive. But thanks for your input.

Good for you for trying to be a good fish keeper. At least you have enough compasion to get rid of when the time comes.

I think those comments were meant well.I definetly don't spend the kind of money these fish cost to see them die. I have had a vlamingi tang that outgrew the tank as well as a lion and a lunar wrasse.And a few others I have found them good homes with plenty of space for them to swim as they get to big. I always buy small knowing I will have to find a better spot for them down the line.Who knows maybe my lottery ticket I bought will come through and then I can just buy a mini ocean and hire Barrier areef to maintenance it! After I find these guys homes I'll be picking up 2 percs and an Rbta.And maybe a few smaller gobies.

A 300g isn't for everyone. I mean I don't like BMW's, but that doesn't mean I care less about my car than someone that has one. We all have different tolerance levels :)

Regarding the origional discussion. Have you talked to a LFS about trading in those fish for credit or some nice corals to start you out?

Yes, I can only imagine the time/maintenance and extra cost of running a 210-300. It sounds like you are a responsible fish keeper, and if you can have the succuess you have had, and keep finding good homes for your fish when they get too big, that is good for the fish. I have a 2' purple tang, that fish never slows down. He zips and zooms all over the place. Just because they are tiny doesn't mean they don't enjoy the room. With that said, its like you are giving them a great present when they are moved to that larger tank. Like trading in your SUV for that zippy sports car! Weird comparison, but it works for me. Just glad to hear you have healthy, growing fish.

Back