Compatibility check and substrate recommendation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thecapn

Here's my wishlist for my upcoming 55 gal reef:

2 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Kaudern's Cardinal
1 - Green Mandarin

1 - Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber
1 - Porcelain crab
5 - Assorted Hermit Crabs
1 - Squamosa Clam

Any compatibility problems with these guys? Also, what substrate is recommended for these animals?

Not so much of a compatibility issue, but just the same stuff always related to the long term care of mandarins: copepods. Do you plan on setting up a refugium? If so then as long as you wait awhile (3 months) before you add it then it will probably be ok. Without a refugium you will simply be dooming the mandarin.

I didn't plan on the refugium. I'll swap the mandarin out for something else.

As far as the refugium, can it just be a sump with some liverock?

If I opt for a refugium, do I put a protein skimmer BEFORE the sump/fuge?

As far as the refugium, can it just be a sump with some liverock?

If I opt for a refugium, do I put a protein skimmer BEFORE the sump/fuge?

Yeah...A lot of people just use LR in their sumps, but you have to take care of the sump, the way you would a tank. The rocks in your sump will shed ditritus just like your tank would, and if not removed (vaccumed) periodically, it will diminish water quality. As for the skimmer, most people put it before the fuge or in otherwards, in the first chamber where it gets the raw water from the tank. You want that crap dealt with ASAP!:)

I would recommend removing the yellow tang from your list, a 55 is just not big enough (especially with very much live rock) for one. I want one too but I already had a tang (it came with my used tank) and was a big headache and eventually died before I knew enough people to give it to.

Tim

I've actually pretty much decided on a 65 gallon. (48x18x17). My wife is gonna freak, but she'll deal with it. Haha.

My wife is gonna freak, but she'll deal with it. Haha

Now that's a true reefer:lol:
The fish list should be fine except the Manderin, I would suggest a Fairy Wrasse instead. Always add the smallest least aggresive fish first and give them a couple weeks to get comfortable before adding more.

Back