Conduit Light Stand, HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

Could some please help me figure out the proper measurements for a conduit stand for my 13lb LED unit?
My ceiling & walls will not hold the weight plus I rent. So I'm looking to attach it to the side of the stand.
I need total length of conduit before bending & the total length after bend. The LED unit is 24" long and the hangers sit 4" from each end.
I'm asking someone to build this for me but don't know the measurements to tell him.

This is for my 40b. Total hight of tank & stand is 45 1/4" Length of tank is 36" & stand is 37 1/2" Need any more info LMK.

I made a conduit hanger for my T 5 light that was originally over my 50 gallon tank, but I attached it to the back of my stand.
IMO it would be a much cleaner look. Can you look and see if you can attach there?

My conduit rested on the floor and was clamped using conduit c-clamps.
You would need to buy a full 8' section of conduit, I would use 3/4".
On mine, I went kind of tall. The arm that held the light fixture was 22" taller than the tank. This was a little too tall.
I planned on using a pulley system to raise and lower the fixture, but never used them. With the conduit being clamped on the back side of the stand, both arms would swivel the fixture out of the way. Was real slick the way it worked.
On yours I would make the bend at 16" to 18" taller than the top of the tank.

Click on the link to "My 50" and you can see a couple pictures of what I did.
Also, at Home Depot, I found plastic end caps that I think you would normally use on lawn furniture repair ( tube and web strapping type) that finished the ends of the conduit pretty nice.

Here's a link to look at.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

Here's the back of my stand. If I did this I'd need an extra piece of wood to attach to that lil panel as the stand has a lip. Plus I'd again have to wait to get it running.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401458724.770485.jpg

Putting it on the side would be the same with the extra wood but I could at least start the cycling. Giving 2 extra weeks to get the stand built. Make sense?

With having that lip on the side would make it harder in my opinion.
I would add two 24" strips of wood, maybe 1" x 2" across the back of the stand on the top and bottom to clamp to.

If there is a lip on the back side like you can see on the sides in your picture, you will need to add a thick enough piece of wood to be outside of that lip.
The lip IMO would not be wide enough to clamp anything secure enough

But Marty, my water is mixed and ready!!! Lol Either way I'm going to have to add a 1 1/4" piece of wood to compensate for the lip. Unless I can get the builder to bend the conduit over it. I saw a pic of that being done also. Then no wood would be needed.

You could just build a box out of 2x4's. It'd give you enough buffer to take care of the lip, the weight of the lights is going to pull it forward INTO the stand, it wouldn't have to be attached, AND it you should be able to slide it in and out if you needed access...

The conduit could be bend ( maybe? ) to accommodate the lip on the end, but are you sure you want to put them on the end?
You would need a good skilled person that knows his( or her) way around a conduit bender.

Have you seen other builds where this is done?

I was thinking about this on my drive this morning and if the top of your stand and the bottom is solid wood, you should be able to clamp onto it with a conduit clamp. They each take 2 screws.

Dang it all to heck!! Ugh!! The stand is made of dense fiberboard. Doesn't say medium or high. Which doesn't really matter as neither takes screws very well and may split if I were to drill into it.
So now I'm really inna a bind. Maybe the tank mount or spieszak idea of a box type stand will be my only option.
Learning a big ole lesson here.....

No offense to spieszak and her idea, but I would never trust a light hanger that depended on it leaning against the stand.

I still like the idea of a couple boards screwed into that back support.
I'd go little wider than I first suggested. Maybe a 1"x 3" double thickness. Top and bottom.
One 8' piece of poplar or whatever is fairly clear of knots, cut in 4 equal pieces. I doubt it would be more than $5-$6.
Predrill the holes in the new wood, so they don't split.

Or that hanger that was suggested.
I think I remember another one.
I'll look

See I'm still concerned about drilling into the stand as it's not wood. I'll figure something out. In the mean time I really want to start cycling :) My waters ready! And I still need to make more.

an actual box wouldn't lean Marty, not a well built one. although the weight is more than i was thinking, so you might have to counter.balance..
i built l brackets on the back of mine, and use a forstner to recess so the conduit would sit in it.. then bracketed to the stand. the recess takes care of any pull the weight of the light has...

an actual box wouldn't lean Marty, not a well built one. although the weight is more than i was thinking, so you might have to counter.balance..
i built l brackets on the back of mine, and use a forstner to recess so the conduit would sit in it.. then bracketed to the stand. the recess takes care of any pull the weight of the light has...

I thought about using a forstner bit to create a spot for the conduit to lay in ( in the lip), and then a thin metal strap over it with a couple screws. That would hold the top good and tight. Then the opposite on the bottom using a pieces of wood, and I have those tools, but I know not everybody else has them.

Back