confirm id's please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snappy

clever title goes here
I have a few sps that I would like some help with identifying if possible please.

I thought the first picture to be a tort of some kind. If so any ideas as to what type?
Feb_3_06_051tort.jpg

This second one I believe to be some sort of Montipora. (verrucossa)maybe?
Feb_3_06_053monti.jpg

I was under the assumption this piece is a type of prostrata? yes/no?
Feb_3_06_109prostrata.jpg

These next two are a complete mystery. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Feb_3_06_054mystery.jpg

Feb_3_06_113green_thing.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Hi Greg, the 1st looks like the ORA tortuosa to me, or atleast it's identical to mine. Mine is a deeper blue though. That 2nd pic is really an interesting sps but I don't know what it is. I agree montipora. The 3rd, looks to be an acropora millepora or prostrata. A. prostrata is said to have more pointed tips though than millepora which tips are more rounded. The 4th pic is just plain sweet. I am going to give a guess maybe A. loripes. ???? The 5th pic not sure of. Can't make the corallites out.

Hi Greg,
In the first picture I'm not sure what you mean by a tort of some kind :D ?
Acropora tortuosa is a species and your coral appears to be one :)

My guess on the second one is Montipora verrucosa or M. danae. Both have the same characteristics except M. verrucosa has larger more open corallites.
Veron, C.O.W pg.138 & 140.

#3 difficult to tell without it growing out some. Could be Acropora millepora or A. prostrata.

#4 Acropora rosaria.

#5 Acropora nobilis. This one also needs to grow out some and form more distinct branch tips. Corallites should not crush easily when touched. Normally a hard coral to cut. New growth tips are usually much lighter in color. Lime green, yellow, or cream color on a green colony.

These are only my guesses :) But one thing is certain....They are very nice and look to be quite healthy!

Regards,
Kevin

I'd also through in the mix that the last pic might be A yongei... As far as the Monipora goes, that is awesome, I'm not in front of my Veron books, but danae, nor verrucosa do not, if my memory recalls, exhibit digitate growth forms. But then again, Montipora are really hard to ID properly...

I'd also through in the mix that the last pic might be A yongei... As far as the Monipora goes, that is awesome, I'm not in front of my Veron books, but danae, nor verrucosa do not, if my memory recalls, exhibit digitate growth forms. But then again, Montipora are really hard to ID properly...

Thank you for your input

Back