Considering DIY 24 CREE LED 3W for 40G Breeder - opinions welcome

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MLAliMike

Hello All

New to the forum. Originally was looking for help ID'ing a macro algae in our tank. Stumbled upon this lovely sub-forum. I've been considering a DIY LED setup for about 2 months now. The countless builds here have inspired me to go for it.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be much appreciated before I blow $300 bucks on this project. Is 24 LED's over kill? I'm hoping to run them at about half power to keep any heat issues to a minimum (no fan would be ideal).

The thread title pretty much sums up the equipment, see Sketchup below (light cones represent 55 degree-lens light distribution, not including any spread the tank/water adds [essentially the cones are conservative. expect better blue/white light mix]):

5545134971_d01912dcd9.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't think that 24 LEDs is overkill, especially if you're only going to run them at 50%. It also depends on what you're planning to put into that tank, whether it be softies, or SPS.

300$ is also alot of money, I'm sure you could get away with 200 if even, especially if you order from right sources. By this, I mean.... you're running at 50% cree standards, which means you could potetially run a non cree at around 60% and save 50% of your LED cost. Take a look at Home Page

Oh and also, I would actually put all the LED's on a single large rectangular LED, it would make the whole look alot cleaner. Plus it give a range of light intensities, more par right under the block of LEDs and less par on the edges.

Thats just me though,
HTH

For $300 you can buy one already made with warranty, or here is a couple links.
LED 3mm UV (Schwarzlicht) 40mW - 10 Stck - gnstig im Online Shop LED1.de
Cree - LCK LED STORE - PROFFESIONAL LED & LED PRODUCTS SUPPLIER

Here is the shelf units
LED Lighting : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

If you go brighter, becare and don't do what I just did. I just burnt all my corals, because I didn't light acclimate! I guees I am learning the hardway.
If you go DIY, put some kind of sheild to protect your circuits from the salt, not sure if you have a glass top or not.

Good Luck!

Rapid led has most of the supply's you might need. Personally i think that maybe twelve more would be a bit better. Also, the neutral white/ royal blue led combo provides the best colors. (rather than the cool white/royal blue). Nanotuners also has some drivers that are supposedly better than the meanwells. One other option is the kessil LED which makes them in house in seattle.

Rapid led has most of the supply's you might need. Personally i think that maybe twelve more would be a bit better. Also, the neutral white/ royal blue led combo provides the best colors. (rather than the cool white/royal blue). Nanotuners also has some drivers that are supposedly better than the meanwells. One other option is the kessil LED which makes them in house in seattle.

sorry this is somewhat incorrect. Kessil has a distributor in seattle. The company is not located here.

kessil's A150w looks like a great product but not cost effective when compared to other options out there. based on the size of the light I would think you would need at least 2 of these for a 40B.

Back