Considering Full Retirement.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefdaddy1

Reef Geek Jedi
It has come to me that Iam thinking of full retirement. AE/RDA has been good to me, But to be honest My heart is not really in the buisness aspect of it anymore. Iam considering in calling it quits. Now if I do I have no idea if AE will remain open. I was the driving force Behind RDA opening this up. I know it may be premature but if things go right, Iam thinking of calling it quits. I just think it might be the stress that holiday had on me. But maybe its time. Any thoughts?

Tanks is one thing I love for sure. But I just dont know If I am up for it yet. I retired from the Army back in 98. But this is allot different. No idea of what I would do.. Iam not one to sit around.

If you feel it's time Bob, then do what you have to do. Life is too short to not do what your heart tells you to:) Just don't leave RF:D

dood i agree with Krish dood, life is to short ... if you don't have a clue what you would do... just look around your home.. a few nice little projects and if that doesnt' do it for you, you can always start working again .

Make this choice carefully. I'm a CPA and many of my clients get bored silly 6 months after retiring. In fact, I've recently set up a second company with two clients who needed something to do.

Do what you always wanted to do, maybe a part time business. Find something you enjoy doing, start a LFS maybe:D whatever you do there comes a time when enough is enough, don't live stressed, enjoy yourself, if you work, do it because you like it, you enjoy it & no matter what happens who cares as long as your doing what you enjoy the most, also allow time to get away whenever you like, you will find more things to do as it goes.

i agree with Scooter dood :D .
My mom :p, right now is in the process of retiring (she started working very very young ) after 25 years, she's getting scared because she doesn't know what she would do, to me if I was going to retire i'd go on a nice trip .... hawaii or something like that, then come back and find a job if i get bored or open a nice little business (hey you could be the next wal mart :lol: :D ) a store or if you're into doughnuts... then may be a doughnut store (heck you could even become more famous than my beloved Krispy creams ;) ) .
In a few, think of what you like doing and if you find yourself bored... then may be start working on something you like :D ...... i like the doughnut idea though :D :p

Hi Bob,

If you have planned it all out and can afford to do it then by all means DO IT! Do it for all of us! lol. Man I would just die to retire! I hate my job and am looking for another one currently. I'm 28 and have a LONG ways to go before retirement.

Here are 2 stories to give you some thought:

My mom after 33 years of marriage decided on divorce 2 years ago because my father did not believe in monogomy and now cannot retire anytime soon and she is 62 years old. I really feel for her as life has REALLY thrown her a curve ball. She is looking into every avenue to be able to retire within 5 years. The judge in the settlement decided to let each of them have their own retirement and unfortunately for about 15 years of her working career they owned a business together and they put everything into his retirement and he got all the social security as well. What the judge did was totally unfair in my opinion but that's life. My husband and I are going to try and move into another home with acreage so we can build a small cabin for her so she can retire sooner. She went from a fairly wealthy lifestyle to one of VERY modest living.

Another story:

A friend in our family who worked for Boeing for over 37 years and did VERY well but did not like his job most of his working life, 2 years ago decided to retire at 65 because of the perks of waiting another couple of years. He waited this long because he wanted to be REALLY, REALLY conforatable in retirement and live a rich lifestyle. He was however not aware of his heart condition and died exactly the day before his retirement party. :cry:

So in short you never know what life will throw at you, and to live each day to its fullest.

If you can aford to live conforatably and want to retire then by all means you should do it. You never know what life will throw at you.
If you're not ready then your not ready either.

Just some food for thought. Not to scare you or anthing.
-Ali :)

Best advice I can tell you is do something you enjoy. If you are happy with what you do then stay there. :

Last edited:
Back