constant brown algae growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blindloser1080

Hey all! I'm constantly getting a brown algae growth on my glass, in HOB skimmer, and in the overflow tube in my 45G.

Is this because of the lighting? I am using a Nova Extreme T-5 setup.

I have a RO system that is giving me 0ppm, so I have ruled that one out. Been doing constant water changes every 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Josh

Overfeeding can also cause algae blooms, have you tested your water?

Does your tank get a lot of direct sunlight?

Do you have a fuge?

lets see...

I feed once per day (longnose hawkfish and a foxface) about 1/3 of a cube, cause they eat it all in about 2-3 minutes. (my diamond gobi passed the other day)

The tank is no where near direct sunlight, it's in my "dining room", I test the water every other week, and nothing has been out of the ordinary.

I do have a sump, but i don't have a fuge. I've been tempting to get one as of recent, after reading up on Melevsreef.com about lighting alternatives with the clamp lights.

The algae problem has been going down as of recent since i replaced the output from the sump with a spray bar, and moving the Koralia to the side of the spray bar to increase water flow.

You will always have algae growth in your tank, that's a given. It's the ones that go out of control that you must watch out for. If your brown algae growth is a lot, to the point where you can barely see your tank in a short period of time, then chances are the algae is getting the nutrients from your tank water. I would look in to getting a fuge so that the macro algae will take some of the nutrients away from the brown algae slowing it's growth.

yea, it used to be out of control when (wish i could change to small font) i wasnt doing constant water changes. Now that I've been doing it much more frequently, there's been less algae and i finally am getting some coraline algae growth.

Looks like I'm going to Home Depot today to get the fuge light, then get some chaeto today.

Refugiums with macros are a big help in reducing the amount of hair algae in the main tank. Keep in mind, due to lighting and feeding, algae growth on the glass and such is a common part of maintenance and just needs to be wiped off during your water changes.

Back