Controversal threads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Angelscrx said:
Well due to my religous beliefs about my political party affiliation and in conjuction with my military ability to shoot the sweat off of a gnats behind at 1000 yards, I think Mojo's decision is for the best! :badgrin:

Good call Mojo U R Da'man!!!!

Oh, I feel exactly the same way! :)

Great call. I also agree. When you come on this site and "talk" to others, you know that everyone is going to be respectful and friendly. I always log off in a better mood than when I logged on this site. Lets keep it that way :)

I personally think it's important for all of us to consider the environmental impacts of our hobby, and to freely discuss ways to reduce them. We all have our opinions, but should back them up with facts, logic, even ethics. It doesn't have to get nasty. We can agree to disagree.

Which other forums? I believe that the subject of our hobby's impact on reefs should have a place in this forum, and shouldn't be censored. If you don't want to talk or think about it, you don't have to click on my posts...in the subject title I usually warn people of the content. Perhaps the RF coordinators have something to say about this?

Yeah....there are other forums out there that are much more keen to that kind of stuff.

Which other forums? I believe that the subject of our hobby's impact on reefs should have a place in this forum, and shouldn't be censored. If you don't want to talk or think about it, you don't have to click on my posts...in the subject title I usually warn people of the content. Perhaps the RF coordinators have something to say about this?

Different forums have different policies, regarding 'controversial topics.' We aren't going to get into a discussion, that results in bashing other forums or comparing Reef Frontiers to other forums, or their policies. Most forums discourage the bashing or negative conversations, about other forums. We feel the same way, here.

As for Reef Frontiers staff, having something to say about this, I believe it's already been said, in the opening of this thread.

There are topics, that will almost always end in controversy or arguments, including, but not limited to, religion, politics, etc. It seems, no matter what the original intention, these types of topics always end badly. So, it's easier to just not allow them.

As for 'environmental' topics, if they can be discussed, without bringing politics into them and without it turning into an argument, I'm all for that. Unfortunately, these occasionally end up turning political and/or too controversial, also, and need to be dealt with. When these types of topics are brought up, we need to remember that different cultures need to be respected. These types of threads can, and often do, become very emotional. It's important that, in these types of threads, that we stick to valid facts and not let our personal emotions create a negative impact on these threads. A perfect example of this, would be the harvesting of certain species, such as whales. As much as some may be against this practice, the practices of different cultures, who take part in this practice, also need to be recognized and respected.

Now, just because I used whaling, as an example, let's please not turn this particular thread into a debate, about whaling...lol.

I agree completely, but does that mean that any mention of the subject is now off limits (i.e. censored)? I for one am perfectly willing to discuss these things calmly and rationally, but if others can't, perhaps they should either refrain from joining the discussion, or just be willing to be ignored?

Spiffluk no one has censored or stopped you from fishing to get your topic talked about. So feel free to keep talking about it in the Water fountain forum at your convience, but lets not post on threads that are about a completely different subject and have not been posted on in 5-6 years??

Mojo

Spiffluk no one has censored or stopped you from fishing to get your topic talked about. So feel free to keep talking about it in the Water fountain forum at your convience, but lets not post on threads that are about a completely different subject and have not been posted on in 5-6 years??

Mojo
Thanks for not censoring me, but I don't know what you mean by those threads...

I said making a comment on a thread on a different subject that has not been active for 6 years doesnt make sence, just go ahead and do what you have been doing in the water fountain. Make sence??

Mike

LOL!! No man...Mike just meant for you to continue creating your threads in the water fountain and discussing what you like. If it is something that is considered controvercial like politics, religion etc, then we will let you know. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with talking about the envirnment. We do it here all the time. :)

Last edited:
Back