Controversal threads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Folks I felt I owed folks some form of an explainaton on why I don't ant to have controversal threads on Reef Frontiers (all reefing debates are wide open) such as politics, religion and simular threads.
Their are three main reasons I want to avoid them. One is that in almost all situations the arguments on both sides are based on personal opinion and the people that have those pinions are not going to change them, which usually means its only going to be an argument and I don't want RF to become a place to just come and argue.
The second is that almost all members on RF are friends and have great respect for each other, this shows on almost all threads we have here. I don't want anyone to loose respect or friendship over a topic that clearly has no logical conclusion.
The last one is I fear the fact that anyone at anytime can see this thread join RF and turn it into a dog and pony show.

The concept of putting up a off topic forum is to share stuff that is outside the reefing world. I don't really want it to be a place for hot topics that only lead to or can lead to major flame outs and create hard feelings. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Anyone at anytime is more then welcome to pm or email me to talk about this at anytime

take care

Mike

Your cool Mike, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I quite often fail to be the person I want to be. You are 100% correct in this. I will try to keep my nose out of stuff that has nothing to do with reefing on this forum. Thanks for letting us know how and why you feel the way you do. Steve

I agree too...I know plenty of people here share different political and religious views from me. I would rather know all you people and have fun discussing the reason why we are all here in the first place. Hey Mike the way I interpret the whole water fountain forum is a place to post off topic threads, but leaving out things that may cause contoversy, ie; politics ect...am I correct in this? Cause you all post some funny and even informative stuff in there that isn't reef related. :D

Yea Stan it is wide open for off topic threads. Thier are just a couple of taboo subjects thats all.

MIke

I hear ya there, Mojo....those are all good subjects to avoid :)

MikeS

i would have to agree with Mike on this one but if you realy whant to talk about them you should ether do it face to face or go to another sight to rant

Well due to my religous beliefs about my political party affiliation and in conjuction with my military ability to shoot the sweat off of a gnats behind at 1000 yards, I think Mojo's decision is for the best! :badgrin:

Good call Mojo U R Da'man!!!!

Actually those topics have a restricted forum on RC
Pretty much taboo on TRT
but there is always the "Slump" I mean sump on RDO :)

I told myself long ago that I won't discuss politics, religion, abortion or gun control with anyone. Online or face to face.

Whats the point?? I'm not gonna change their mind and they aren't going to change mine.

I still catch myself now and then though :lol:

I'm with ya. I avoid those topics in everyday life anyway because you can never change anyones mind once they've got something in their head. I've seen some good reefin' arguments on here too though (LOL) There's one that I'll never forget...Was like comedy hour!

saltwaterteen- OMH your cooking a turkey is soooo funny :lol: Thanks I needed a good laugh.

We also agree with ya MOJO, thanks for keepin it real :D

Last edited:
Ditto

RF is a community, a diverse one at that, that do have one thing in common. we share so much... and it's great to have a place to get to know echother outside the tank, and we should keep it as friendly as possible. we are caring and compassionate about our fish, so why not our fellow fish keepers?

By the way...

speaking of controversial topics, ive been meaning to gather some opinions on the way the selling of moorish idols on the internet is handled. As such delicate fish, stores can chose not to sell to certain people, but the internet is totally unrestricted. (I'm writing an opinion piece for a college paper, and i didn't want to choses the same old topics as everyone else, like abortion and whatnot)

Back