converting to T5's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That's what I meant about blue bulbs putting out high par ratings. The Blueplus is not an actinic, but a blue bulb, that still produces high par ratings. Although, I would probably recommend you go with 2 Blue Plus and replace the 3rd with something more white, like maybe the Aquablue Plus, which is in the 11000K range. I'd also consider replacing the SuperActinic with something else.

I hate to recommend a different forum, but on Reef Central, there's a user by the name of GrimReefer. He's the T5 GURU. He's got a VERY long thread going that is about the most informative T5 reading I've ever done. It's call The T5 Q&A thread, or something similar. Might jump over there, explain the fixture you have and the types of corals you are, or want to keep and as him for bulb configurations.

That above listed website on post #20 is actually GrimReefer's webpage. He's done A LOT of testing with various bulbs and various fixtures.

Just got the new bulbs installed. Here's a couple of comparison pictures.

Full tank shot taken Jan. 1, 2008
2155054996_3100eef7b1_b.jpg

Full tank shot taken 5-3 (same bulbs as above, after 16months of use)
3499468058_1700bc92a7_b.jpg

Full tank shot I just took, with new bulbs installed.
3514469062_040a9a4754_b.jpg

16 mo of use .. i was told u should replace your bulbs approximately every 12 mo .... or is that wrong ???

That's quite the salt creep on those bulbs. Also, is there supposed to be a 3rd pic? You have a heading saying same bulbs on 5-3, but no pic.

Here's a couple pics of my t5 4 bulb over my 15g. with 3 geismann actinic plus (blue) and a midday 6500k...I love me some blue!!
The growth and coloration from the rare sps I had was awesome with 3 actinic plus and one 6500k too.
and in my 30g, since im not doing sps anymore, I switched all 4 bulbs to actinic plus. which is a 22k bulb.
My acans, favias, micros, zoas, palys, & rics are doing awesome under it for months now, and I love the way it looks!!!

octobh100fmods065.jpg

octobh100fmods072.jpg

Last edited:
@skimerwhisperer

With the Tek you don't want to have that glass cover it kills the pars like 10-20% keep it like 3inch from the top of the tank and the splash shouldn't affect it. I have the 6bulb Tek and keep it about 3inch from the top.

@skimerwhisperer

With the Tek you don't want to have that glass cover it kills the pars like 10-20% keep it like 3inch from the top of the tank and the splash shouldn't affect it. I have the 6bulb Tek and keep it about 3inch from the top.

considering that it's only penetrating 12" of depth, it was a totallty moot point, and the salt spray did infact get on the reflector slightly because i had the glass lids off, so back on they went. :) it also helped with evap.

I just recently got the acrylic shields for my TEK 6 bulb fixtures. I was told it will cut down the par and life of the bulbs a bit, but I decided to get them regardless to avoid the saltwater spots on the bulbs and reflectors. The shields for the TEK fixtures kind of suck though as they bend and flex throughout the day from the heat of the bulbs I assume. I had my fixture as high up as it would go for a long time and still got salt spray.

I too have TEK-t5 fixtures + retro.
After reading above post, I took both my tank-cover and light-cover.
Wow, it does look brigther!

Though I am worried about the splashing and the buildup.
Wouldn't it cause corrotion and short?
How often do you have to clean the fixture?

I keep my power head and return low enough that I don't get a lot of the splash and when I do my water change I clean up the reflector and bulbs.

Back