Converting VHO to T5

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tvdao

I bought a used tank and it has 5 60" VHO light. Would converting them to T5 makes sense? If so, should I get individual reflector? Appreciate any advice or guidance.

Individual reflectors or ICR (Individually Contoured Reflectors), which are bent, in a gull wing shape, around each bulb. Either will work just great.

IMO, YES, converting to T5s makes sense. You'll get much better penetration, and corals will thank you. Take a look here, for DIY Retrofit kits. http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/

Might have to give Greg a call, as not all of the reflectors are actually listed on his site, but they are available.

So the ballast for the VHO would fire off the T5's. I was told that it would not. I know that most ballasts go by tube length. For instanse a 660 can fire off a total of 16 ft of bulb length. I was under the impression that T5's require a higher initial voltage then what a regular flourescent bulb would need.

i had problems with mine firing 4 48" t-5's. hooked up 2 workhorse 7 ballasts and fired right up. no change in wiring.

Perhaps I could forget about VHO and T5 and go straight to LED's... It is quite a bit more money but at least it will be energy efficient.

Well I have the inside scoop on some really nice led setups for really cheap. I am not sure if I should share my wealth, but since I like all of you. JK So I just recently ordered some LED grow lights from this website for under 40 dollars. There are 244 leds and really add color.

www.eaglelight.com

I ordered 2 of there LED grow lights and plan on using them for my refugium.

My 660-90 fires my 4x24 t5's just fine, although it does overdrive them abit so the bulbs may not last as long.

Well I have the inside scoop on some really nice led setups for really cheap. I am not sure if I should share my wealth, but since I like all of you. JK So I just recently ordered some LED grow lights from this website for under 40 dollars. There are 244 leds and really add color.

www.eaglelight.com

I ordered 2 of there LED grow lights and plan on using them for my refugium.

Those are nice. I've seen them in other applications that is not reef related.

Well they work fine for vegetation. Not so much for a main display. THough the colors they add to the tank is out of this world. All yellows turn into a really vivid highlighter orange. And yes these lights are used for other reefing activities I suppose.

Back