Cooking Live Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

What does this mean?

Really I don't know. I did "cook" one piece of LR literally (sp) boy did it stink!
I cooked it in water for an hour. Put it back in after it dried. Did get rid of those 2 majanos...

I have a rubbermaid tub set up now and I am thinking "cooking" rock is not boiling it on the stove. Am I right? :oops:

oh please help. I have this piece of rock I don't want to "kill" I just want all the sponges and such to go away.
Just trying to learn. :oops::razz::razz:

Cooking your rock will unfortunately not kill your sponges.........nor will it kill most non photosynthetic creatures, depending on how rough you are when you do it.

Long story short...cooking your rock is basically shutting it off from the light, keeping it in an aerated and circulated tub of saltwater, and performing 100% water changes every week for 8-?? weeks in an effort of getting the beneficial bacteria to turgor out the majority of phosphates from the rock. I highly recommend the process and after cooking 400 lbs so far in several batches i can say it is one of the most beneficial efforts i have taken in reefing. You are left with healthy clean rock and any system you start off with cooked rock will have a serious edge over using rock that hasnt been cooked. Most of the life that does die during the process will return faster than you think, as will the coralline that will die if you do the process thoroughly.

If you want rid of the sponges I would suggest scrubbing them off with a stiff plastic brush, and scrubbing very well.

Thank you fly guy. This I will have to chew around a bit. That is alot of water changes...The info is much appreciated.

I remember something I read about curing your own LR and it said "Be prepared to take your significant other out to dinner lots during the process"
I am paraphrasing(sp). :>

I am going to do it, just not yet. That is cooking rocks.
Thanks for answering.

Yeah...cooking is definitely a PITA, but a worthwhile one.

Keep in mind, it doesnt take all that much water to do 100% water changes.

If you do it......get two containers. One to cook in......and one to move to each week. Then you just set up a rock cooking assembly line from one container to the next each week.

Here is seant's directions on cooking rock. I like to do it quite a bit more agressive to be honest. I scrub the rock each week with a stiff bristed brush in the old containers water before aggressivbely swishing in 5 gallon buckets on the way to the new water. After reading these directions, what i just said will make more sense. I kill a lot more of the life but i dont care. My goal is the cleanest rock I can start with. I alos like to run the water in the mid-high 80's and use a large powerhead(mag 12) with a venturi hooked up to it so the water is very well aerated and circulated. I think it helps speed the proicess up IME.

How to "cook" your rock. Originally posted by Seant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the process.

The purpose of "cooking" your rocks is to have the bacteria consume all (or as much) organic material and PO4 stored on, and in, the rock as possible.
The first step to this is commitment.
You have to be willing to remove your rock from the tank.
It doesn't have to be all at once, but I feel if you are going to do this do it all. In stages if that is easier but make sure that all of it gets done.
The new environment you are creating for your rock is to take it from an algal driven to a bacterial driven system.
In order to do this, the rock needs to be in total darkness to retard and eventually kill the algae's on the rock and to give the bacteria time to do the job.
So basically you need tubs to hold the rock.
Equipment needed.
1. Dedication.
2. Tubs to cook rock in. And an equal amount of tubs to hold the rock during waterchanges.
3. A few powerheads.
4. Plenty of buckets.
5. A smug feeling of superiority that you are taking it to "the next level."
6. Saltwater, enough made up to follow the instructions below and to replenish your tank after removing rocks.

Here are the steps:
1. Get into your head and accept the fact you will be making lots of salt water if you aren't lucky enough to have access to filtered NSW.
2. Explain to significant other what is going on so they don't flip out. This process can take up to 2 months. Prepare them in advance so he/she can mark it on the calendar and that they won't nag about it until that date arrives.
3. Setup a tub(s) where the rock is to be cooked. Garages are great for this.
4. Make up enough water to fill tub(s) about halfway and around 5-7 buckets about 60% full.
5. Remove all the rock you want to cook at this stage. (The rock can be removed piece by piece until you are done.) I suggest shutting off the circulation beforehand to minimize dust storms.
6. Take the first piece of rock and dunk it, swish it, very, very well in the first bucket. Then do it again in the 2nd bucket, then the third.
7. Place rock in the tub.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 to every piece of rock you want to cook at this time. The reason I suggested 5-7 buckets of water will be evident quickly...as the water quickly turns brown.
9. Place powerhead(s) in the tub and plug in. Position at least one powerhead so that it agitates the surface of the water pretty well. This is to keep the water oxygenated. You can use an air pump for additional oxygenation if you wish. Only one powerhead per tub is needed. Remember the powerheads main responsibility is the oxygenation of the water.
10. Cover the tub. Remember, we want TOTAL darkness.
11. Empty out buckets, restart circulation on main tank.
12. Wait.
13. During the first couple of weeks it is recommended to do a swishing and dunking of the rocks twice a week.
What this entails is to make up enough water to fill up those buckets and the tub the rock is in.
First, lay out your empty tub(s) and fill buckets the same as before.
Then, uncover tub with the rock in it. Take a rock and swish it in the tub it's in to knock any easy to get off junk.
Then, swish it thru the 3 buckets again, and place in the empty tub..
Repeat for all your rocks.
Then empty the tub that all the rocks were cooking in, take it outside and rinse it out with a hose.
Place tub back where it was, fill with new saltwater, add rocks and powerheads, and cover.
Wait again until the next water change.
You will be utterly amazed at how much sand, silt, detritus is at the bottom of the tub and every bucket. It is amazing.
At times the stench was so strong I gagged.

How it works:
Some FAQ's.
When re-introducing the rock to my tank, a month or two from now, should I do that in parts to help minimize any cycling effect(s)...if there are any?
I never have. Really after a very short while, the ammonium cycle has been established. That's not what you're worry about though, it's the stored phosphates and that you have to wait it out.
When they are producing very little detritus - you'll know - then I would use them all at once.
Would running Carbon filtration and/or a PO4 reducing media help/hurry/hinder the process?
I wouldn't fool with it. You don't want the detritus to sit there long enough to rot, release water soluble P again. You want to take it out while it's still locked up in that bacterial detritus.
I would say that 85% of my exposed rock had Bryopsis (hair algae) covering it.
There isn't a single visible strand on any rocks my tank now.
Remember, the key is patience. Let this process run its course.
And a few last minute tidbits I remembered.
Your coralline will die back, recede etc.
My thoughts on this are GREAT!
Now my rock is more porous for additional pods, mysids, worms etc.
Coralline will grow back.
Throughout this process the sponges, and pods on my rock have not died off.
Every time I do a water change they are there and plentiful.
Remember, once you place your rock back into your tank you will need a specialized cleanup crew.
I recommend Astrea's and Cerith's, 2 to 1.
-Astrea's are great at harvesting algae.
-Cerith's are great at harvesting other algae - and - astrea poop.
-Cerith's will make the astrea poop easier for you to harvest with a skimmer.

But remember, you do not need to run a barebottom tank to benefit from rock "cooking".
hth,
Sean

Last edited:
Deb,

Flyguy's description is accurate and one of the better ways to accomplish the process.

I just wanted to let you know that the rock doesn't stink bad the entire time....only at the beginning.

I just wanted to let you know that the rock doesn't stink bad the entire time....only at the beginning.

its truly a beautiful thing. You end up with clean healthy rock that doesnt smell like anything but clean rock :)

Just to add diversity to the comments made here, I think cooking live rock is pretty pointless. It might be one way to cure new rock, but I'd never do it to rock that's been in your tank for a long time. And I think there are better ways to cure rock.

Just to add diversity to the comments made here, I think cooking live rock is pretty pointless. It might be one way to cure new rock, but I'd never do it to rock that's been in your tank for a long time. And I think there are better ways to cure rock.

cooking and curing are entirely different things. Have you ever properly cooked rock and witnessed the "pointlessness" of it as you run your system first hand??

Have you ever started up a tank or owned a system using just cooked rock?

Just curious.

Last edited:
Yes I have cooked rocks before... more or less just as an experiment though. And I still think it's pointless. People say it helps control algae, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, I know that phosphates are bound up in aragonite. But cooking the rocks isn't going to solve that "problem" (if it even is a problem). All it's going to do is starve to death whatever life is left on the rocks. Yes, it will also kill a lot of algae and maybe remove some build up debris, etc., But the algae can always come back and any decaying/dead material should be dealt with by curing.

Basically, I just don't think any possible benefit outweighs the potential damage to the rock's life.

But dude, this is my *opinion* based on what I know about certain things. Like I said, I'm just offering another perspective. People can certainly do their own reading and research and decide for themselves. :)

I did something similar to what is now called cooking your rocks so I feel it has merit under the correct circumstances. For instance, cooking rocks to throw into a zoanthid dominated tank doesn't make sense to me. Cooking rocks when setting up a SPS tank does make sense to me.

i did that with sand i got from hawaii and noting bad happend so i am happy i did it.

For me the decision is out... I am a very small (well actually I am normal sized) hobbiest however I try to provide my animals with the best enviroment I can. My rocks aren't that bad. I am going to wait.

Last edited:
What about drying out your rocks?? I basically had to tear down a tank of mine for over a year and 1/2 because I moved, and had no place to put my tank, I sold off my livestock and kepy mt equipment, I put my live rock into sealed buckets, no light and no water. I returned this past year to inspect them and their dry, and whitish to purple in color. I am curious, if this has done anything to reduce phosphates and such trapped in the rock, mind you the rock when it was alive weas pristine, no nuisance algae growth on it whatsoever, entirely encrusted in coraline, and corals, in BB tank. I am truly curious how long it will take to bring thei rock back to life, if I place it or cook it in some tubs with live rock. 2 weeks? 3 months? any ideas?

David

it really depends on how much lr u get to reseed it. i would get about 10lbs and distribute it through out all of ur aquascapeing so u can have most of ur lr turn into lr quicker. i think 3 months is a good time it would take. and u dont have to cook ur lr.

What about drying out your rocks?? I basically had to tear down a tank of mine for over a year and 1/2 because I moved, and had no place to put my tank, I sold off my livestock and kepy mt equipment, I put my live rock into sealed buckets, no light and no water. I returned this past year to inspect them and their dry, and whitish to purple in color. I am curious, if this has done anything to reduce phosphates and such trapped in the rock, mind you the rock when it was alive weas pristine, no nuisance algae growth on it whatsoever, entirely encrusted in coraline, and corals, in BB tank. I am truly curious how long it will take to bring thei rock back to life, if I place it or cook it in some tubs with live rock. 2 weeks? 3 months? any ideas?

David
What you did was simply kill all of the life and beneficial bacteria turning your live rock into base rock. It did nothing as far as turgoring out any phosphates, but if thrown in with some live rock the beneficial bacteria will begin colonizing within days, a couple months to have enough beneficial bacteria to fully support a system on their own with no other already colonized rock.\

Depending on how much decaying matter is on this rock in question, it may or may not need a short time to cycle before being introduced to a existi9ng healthy system.

Last edited:
Ok I had some "base rock" that still had purple on it.( Set out in the sun) Is that "live" coralline algae or what?

Hey Deb, I didn't read everything so I may be off track here but If you dried out rock in the sun it is all dead at that point. If your going to use this once live rock & now dead rock I'd soak it in a tub of ro/di with bleach for a few days & then rinse it real clean & soak it in clean ro/di again or boil it in ro water to get out everything that ever was in the pours & make this new rock super clean & rejuvenate it throughly, once complete in the tank it will cover with diatoms fast but that is a natural cycle, If you have a lot of this rock then you want to seed it outside the tank in a tub & let it cycle for a good while more than normal use your basic cooking process & seed it with a few small pieces of LR, then you will have quality LR that will last a long time. To get more details on this we can discuss that process throughly before attempting, again I may be off base here & didn't read the thread at this point. so If this is too much or off base disregard my statement :D

Scooterman it was only one piece of marshall Island rock I think that I dried in the sun for a few months. I was just wondering about the few purple places that didn't turn white. I will remember your instructions for any other pieces of rock that have been out of the tank as I have about 10 lbs. . Thanks for the Info!

I would it unless it is already dead or totally useless rock, the LFS soaks rock in bleach buckets often, turns them super white:D

Back