Cooking live rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Instant Ocean Bio-Spira or seachems Stability will jump start your bacteria.... Saying that you still want to run you cycle but it will speed it up. Also remember to keep the bacteria you have to feed the bacteria... even if your tank is cycled with no fish once you add fish, the bioload will rise and it will take time for the bacteria to build up and compensate. This is also a reason why you cant just dump on 8 fish at once.

Yea fish food or a shrimp you let rot away takes a way long time.
I myself was cautious when using someones live rock. I made sure no bristle worms or anything
One year later I still have no worms. As far as I know :/ hah
But ya good luck can't wait to see it

Bristle worms arn't really bad.....Unless you have a hughe amount of waste. Then they grow large and do some damage. It's like people growing aptasia and xenia in there refuge to help with waste or nutrients. They are good unless the bioload is so great they can grow and spread. And if they do it will say something about your tank husbandry and feeding.

Physically boiling live rock in an enclosed environment can be dangerous. Many hobbyist have done it without issue, some have done it and been hospitalized.

Much better to use muriatic acid, or bleach or dry and recycle.

The rock had completely dried out in my garage, but then my room mate decided he was going to buff/polish/whatever his car so I moved it out to prevent getting chemicals all over it. It is now sitting in some lightly salted(to keep it from freezing) water in a tub by my back door. Tank is almost done though! stand, light, skimmer, sump, overflows all done. Return pump arrives today or tomorrow and gets installed, then I lay down some egg crate and add some rock and water to start my cycle!

it goes on the bottom of the tank to support the live rock. It spreads the weight out on the glass instead of just putting the rock on the bottom of the tank, and prevents shifting rocks caused by laying the rock directly on the sand.

I hope so, I picked up some loc line with flat output heads today, now I'm off to Lowe's to buy some pvc to build a return line to attach the loc line to!

Back