Cooling a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

I know this has been brought up before about which way the fans should be blowing. My tank temp is 84 and I dont even have the lights or heaters on. House temp is 80 degrees. Which way would cool the tank the best.
1 fan in and 1 fan out, both blowing in or both blowing out. I would like to cool this down abit before I turn the halides on and /or add my new corals.

HELP
MINIATUS :?:

You want the fans blowing on the water, this will help increase the evaporation and thus evaporative cooling. Also, you can put some gallon jugs of water in the freezer and keep rotating them into the sump to cool the tank, if your tank isn't too big.

Thanks for responding.
I have 2-3 in fans and both are blowing into the canopy.Would getting a fan and have it blowing in the sump help.

MINIATUS

I don't know much about physics, but I think blowing on the sump may help too. It's a smaller body of water (in comparison to your tank) which means it can heat up quicker as well as cool down quicker. Where are the majority of your pumps situated? I knew the majority of my pumps sat in my sump when I had my heat issues the other day (4 to be exact). I removed the troublesome JBJ pump and removed half of the glass off of my hood and it dropped 7 degrees without using any fans and has been stable that way since. So I guess if I were to add 1 or 2 fans like you did I could probably drop 1 or 2 off my temp. I guess if you got extra fans why not try it. Also, you might want to see if you may have any troublesome pumps somewhere like I did creating excessive heat and swap it out. HTH

Pumps, I have a Mag9 for a return and a ocean runner on my skimmer.Also a small Eheim on the reactor but its not running yet. Only pumps in the tank are 2 stream 6060s by tunze. Ill try a small fan on the sump.

MINIATUS

MINIATUS said:
I know this has been brought up before about which way the fans should be blowing. My tank temp is 84 and I dont even have the lights or heaters on. House temp is 80 degrees. Which way would cool the tank the best.
1 fan in and 1 fan out, both blowing in or both blowing out. I would like to cool this down abit before I turn the halides on and /or add my new corals.

HELP
MINIATUS :?:

one fan blowing in, one fan blowing out for air exchange in most effient way to cool tank.

Ok
I've reversed one fan to blow out and one still blowing in. The temperature has dropped about 2 degrees in 2 hours. Tomorrow If the tempeture is still up I will put afan on the sump. Also have 6 bottle of water freezing in the fridge.

MINIATUS

Back