cooling fans

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Go see Krish's thread on his bigger tanks. He went thru all of this. But you can use them as long as you have the proper power supply for them.

fans

I am going to use a 12v dc adaptor for these so should be ok i think just needed some info on it mant thanks for reply:) i will check out the tread as well.thanks mark.

You'll need a snickers to go through that whole thread:lol:
Here's the thread if you want to browse it, http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14557 but to save you time, here's what I used...Also, what you posted in your attachments look fine as well. Obviously the the higher the cfm rating the more air it will move and the bigger, the more surface area it will cover.

I used (2) of these 5 inch fans which were 12v fans and just made a bracket out of aluminium to mount them

Here's a pic of the 3 inch ones I used as well next to a 5 inch.

Here's how I mounted mine. I used (3) 3inch fans to suck hot air out of the top and (2) 5 inch fans to blow cool air across the water. Worked well:)

Oh yeah...I used ac/dc converters to run the fans from radio shack and worked well. I used 2 of them total:)

fans

Thanks krish just looked at your thread nice hood once again you have got me to do the same 3 sucking and 2 blowing:D cheers for the help now i can put my building new hood into action:)

No prob man...I'll find those pics of the converter for you. If I can't find them, I'll take new ones tonight:)

I found one of them I used which is actually the ones I stuck with, but there was another one I had that you can set a switch to the voltage setting you wanted from like 1.5v-12v I think. I'll see if I can find a pic of that one, but I swapped to the ones in the pic below because they seemed to handled more load
:)

Oh yeah...I used ac/dc converters to run the fans from radio shack and worked well. I used 2 of them total:)

i was wondering about this...you only had to use 2 outlets for 5 fans??? i want a few fans, but i can't spare an outlet for each one..i am about maxed out as it is now!!!

i was wondering about this...you only had to use 2 outlets for 5 fans??? i want a few fans, but i can't spare an outlet for each one..i am about maxed out as it is now!!!

Yeah...The one in the pic was just a 12v power supply that had a plug on the end I cut off. The other one I had was an actual ac/dc converter. Both handled I think the same load. In any event, I had the 3 exhaust fans (3 inch) on one of those small power supplies which was on it's own timer and the other (2) 5 inch fans, I had on another one of those power supplies on a seperate timer. I had it set up where everything came on with the lights, but only the exhaust fans stayed on for 2 hours after the lights went out to continue sucking out any hot air left in the canopy:)

Also, the larger the fan the quieter (generally). I have a 60mm fan that came in my fixture and it is by far the loudist thing on my tank. Krish's 120mm fans, I'm sure, are much quieter.

Back