copper banded butterfly in sps tank??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

iam having a problem with aiptasia in my tank tryed joes juice several times kalk,lemon juice ect i was thinking about adding a copper banded butterfly heard they chow aiptasia also heard they like polyps,feather dusters ect anyone have any info on these guys?

They are kind of hit or miss as to being reef safe. I have had one in my home tank for 5 years but I don't have any clams. They can nip clams, and LPS corals but not always. Some are safe for even a few years and then they begin to nip at things you would rather they left alone. It's a pretty sure bet that they will go after aiptasia but it may take some months.

Regards,
Kevin

I've had my copperband for over 7 years and it has never developed a taste in aiptaisia. It's definitely a hit or miss. Thankfully mine also never developed a taste in my clams or sps either. Lots will eat aiptasia and then starve to death as they don't switch over to other food.

Have you tried Peppermint Shrimp?

iam having a problem with aiptasia in my tank tryed joes juice several times kalk,lemon juice ect i was thinking about adding a copper banded butterfly heard they chow aiptasia also heard they like polyps,feather dusters ect anyone have any info on these guys?

tryed peppermint shrimp only 1 though ,in my tank i have a coral banded (mistake i know) and i think he didnt like the peppermint or the fire shrimp both seem to have disappeared i might have to try and get him out some how but he is so cool

I have heard many stories of CBB fish eating aptasia like it was candy:confused: I have tried several times in all different kinds of systems to make this happen but with no success. I can add also that in all of my attempts I never had a problem with them nipping on corals. In most of my systems I had numerous tangs that seemed to keep the CBB fish from swimming freely around the tank. I think that this may have tampered with the results that i have had. I have had much success with the joes juice but only after 4 or so applications within a week. This is a serious pain but the end result is an almost aptasia free tank. During the first few weeks after the heavy joe's application I run a very tight maintinence and feeding schedule along with an overdose of rowphos to bring nutrients to an extremely low level. This works for me but it might not for you, just my experience:D

I have had 3 copperbands over the years. All went for the aiptasia with gusto. One lasted about 3 years in my 120g and then up and died one day. My second ate all the aiptasia and then I could not get him to eat prepared foods and he died. The third and most recent ate prepared foods and aiptasia, just like the first one. Then he decided my new Black T. maximas looked like the best meal in the tank. He was scooped out immediately and passed on to another reefer who still has him. I got lucky, most people it is hit and miss.
I have always been a total skeptic regarding peppermint shrimp but I needed something and the Joes Juice stuff wasn't working very well. So I decided to try some. I have two peppermints in the tank and lo and behold three months later my aiptasia population is quite small, while I still see them around the peppermints must be munching on any new babies. I use to get 50-60 new aiptasia within a month of Joes Juice application. Now I have maybe 10 in the whole tank. Try getting a few and give them some time. I didn't really see the difference for 2-3 months, my little shrimp also had to grow up a bit as they were pretty small when I got them. Now I just have to deal with them stealing food from my micros, lol. It's always something :).

I have had the best luck with peppermint shrimp, I'd throw in 3 - 4 and IME once the others see what one eats they all snack on it. Monkey see - monkey do.

My copperbanded butterflyfish does not touch aptasia or majanos but does enjoy thawed brine and mysis shrimp. He also picks at the Christmas tree worms and feather dusters occasionally. In spite of being useless at majano control, he is still a great fish...

Back