Coral Acclimation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xraymatt

Been out of the game for a while and one thing I've learned through the years in this hobby is to never be afraid to ask a question. Even a relatively obvious one. So here it goes. How long do you acclimate a new coral before placing it into your tank? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Matt

Been out of the game for a while and one thing I've learned through the years in this hobby is to never be afraid to ask a question. Even a relatively obvious one. So here it goes. How long do you acclimate a new coral before placing it into your tank? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Matt

if you have the time, i like to take a piece of air line and put the coral in a 5g bucket, tie the airline in a loose knot and then syphon tank water till the bucket is 1/2 full or about x2 the amount of water it had. dump half that back into the tank and repeat once or twice more till the water in the bucket is the same as tank water. you may want to tie two knots if its going too fast, should take 30mins or so. remember to dip you coral first though

Other than dipping my corals and floating them, I havent acclimated a coral in over three years. I have never lost a new addition doing it this way. I guess I'd better say though, all of my corals come from friends or the LFS rather than shipped across country.

In the past I put a "new" coral in a small container with the water it came with. Every few minutes I would add a little of my tank water until the majority of water in the container was my water. Just wasn't sure how long this process should take. I know that acclimating starfish is a slow painful process and wondered if I should use the same slow process with the corals. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I float new corals then add 1/3 cup of tank water every 10 minutes until the bag is full. I don't drip acclimate anything other than shrimp and starfish.

Back