Coral Banded Shimp - Should I get rid of it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snowboarda42

Cirrhitichthys falco
So I just got a Starry Blenny yesterday from KevinPo's store in Spokane. (Awesome little fish!) Anyway, I brought him home, acclimated and released it. As soon as it's in and swimming, it goes and perches along side a rock, close to my coral banded shrimp. Then, the stupid CBS goes and pinches one of its fins! WTF?!!!
bitchro1.gif
I was PISSED. The goby swims about an inch more along the rock, releasing the CBS's grip. Then the CBS goes and does it again, only this time grabbing one of its horns on its head!!! :mad: The goby swam off to the other end of the tank. I felt sorry for it. So I tried to catch it to put it in my seperate 'fuge so I can give it to a friend nearby (maybe i'll feed it to her hawkfish...:evil:).

Today, I go home to change work clothes, my work partner Julia watches the tank and tells me it went and grabbed one of its lips! Twice!

Anyways, my question is, is this blenny going to get hurt? Should I actually chase this little B@stard down and take it out? Or just hope for the best. There's no signs of injury on the blenny thankfully...

Get rid of him if you can. JMO. I've had bad luck lately, losing my smaller perching fish to my coral banded shrimp. I haven't succeeded yet in trapping or catching him so I have to take my rock out to get him.

cbs are cool but they like to eat everything i had one and it ate featherdusters snails my yellow tang i gave it away

I have tried different traps and can't get one to work. I've tried feeding. Tonight I tried taking out rock to catch him but just managed to make a mess of my tank and break off a bunch of corals. THe CB shrimp escaped my grasp (just barely).

What I need is a SHRIMP ASSASSIN. Any takers? :badgrin:

I just caught him. I just chased him with my hand and a pair of tongs. It ended up loosing both front big claws. I know they grow them back though.

I put him in my seperate 'fuge.

Oh, I am so jealous.

Congratulations you got him! I have too much rock, that is the problem, lots of it is that pokey branched coral too.

Lol, thanks. I feel bad though, because my Cleaner shrimp was behind the same rock, I grabbed what I thought was the CBS's antennae and it turned out it was the cleaner's instead. The cleaner now has 3.75 antennae. It still loves me though, because it cleaned my hand anyway. Probably because I had gloves on when I chased it.

That bums me about Banded Coral Shrimps, I got one for my tank as I thought they were mellow. I just got a blenny, so we shall see how he does. That blenny has a bit of an attitude though, I think he will be fine.

From what I've read, quite a few people have no problems with their CB shrimps. It's a risk though. You can reduce the risk if you keep them well fed.

Back