Coral Banded Shrimp predating clowns?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blue Baron

So . . . I believe we just caught one of our coral banded shrimp predating one of our clowns. Has anyone else experienced this? We've been the feeding the tank pretty minimally due to a current algae issue. We have two coral bandeds, and USED to have to clown fish.

I know they'll predate bristle worms . . . which quite frankly I'd rather have over the shrimp. So if anyone is interested in trading two coral banded shrimp for some hermit crabs and snails, I'd be interested.

I live in Bellevue, give me a call at 425 442 2295.

I will trade you.

I think I have most all the common varietys of snails and hermits. Just ask what sorts of hermits and snails you want.

Red legged hermit crabs and astrea snails I think would be the best for my tank currently (120 gallon). I currently have three turbos, and would like to diversify a bit.

What sort of exchange rate are we looking at? :)

we normally work this sort of matter out via PM'ing, which you shoudl check, as i sent you 2 allready :)

But the question about the clown eating is certianly good to discuss here.

I gave you my number in PM, and you can just give me a call tonight and we can talk about it.
-Luke

I think that quite often when people see CBS 'predating', the shrimp are actually offering a free cleaning.

My CBS has been one of my favorites for a long time. Often he'll approach fish in a very menacing way, but then only gingerly pick off dead scales/skin. The fish always look nervous and jittery when they let this happen.

They will consume sick, injured, or dead fish, no doubt. (Maybe your clown fell ill and then fell prey?) But, unless I'm mistaken, CSBs don't generally go hunting after healthy fish.

(Ooops, I hope I didn't ruin your deal, Luke...:confused:)

LOL . . . no you certainly didn't ruin his deal John. :) The first thing I considered was that maybe the clown was unhealthy. However, I find this pretty unlikely as both clowns have been exceptionally healthy for a very long time. I suppose it's possible, however.

My other beef with the them is that they eat bristle worms and brittle stars, both critters I WANT in my tank.

Met Luke today, as he came over to grab my two CBS (which was a fricken comedy in itself) . . . Good guy. Thanks for the Xenia and chaeto Luke!!! :)

Back