Coral Feeding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darrinoz

When feeding corals is it best to turn off the pumps and direst feed and if so how long should the pumps be off before resuming filtration/ skimming?

Its a judgement call. Long enough for the corals to ingest the food. I turn my return pump off, and hit the food timer on my tunze. That gives them 10-14 mins to eat then the pump comes on and blows what they missed around real good. Then I hit it again and let them eat what they caught, turn the return back on and let it go at that. I only feed rarely though. But I have MH so they get most of what they need from fish waste and light.

4.gif

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Hope you enjoy the website!

What types of corals are you feeding, and what are you feeding them?

Check out this thread: Let's Talk About ~Coral Feeding~. Corals can get a lot of their food requirements via fish waste and keeping detritus suspended in the water column when combined with appropriate lighting. LPS corals are a little different with supplemental feedings, and IMO need an occasional direct feeding (combined with approp light source), the size of its mouth dictating the size of the food. Hope this helps.

Back