Coral growth too fast?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brianblack

I was wondering if there was such a thing of corals growing too fast. I have had some that grew like mad then kind of stop and stall. I do not think it was system related since some others in the same family were still flourishing. I now have the stalled ones looking like they did before this period.

Do you happen to know what your water parameters were while the rapid growth was taking place, compared to your water parameters when the growth slowed down?

I had some green trumpets that went like mad feeding mysids then they just kinda petered out. They are still green but do not 'for lack of a better word' expand. I have primarily LPS, shrooms, zoos, leathers when this occurred. As for tank params I do not know for sure since I do not keep records. My calcium before the sps additions always seemed to be round 380 - no PO or trates. Alk unknown. PH right in 8.2-8.3 Sg is 1.026. I just recently am keeping better track with the sps additions since my calcium use will be higher - I use reef crystals. Everything else seems to be on track as far as growth but just wondered in general if there would be a growth speed that would be viewed as unhealthy. I have never heard of something like that mostly the opposite.

I am not the most meticulous record keeper or have a good habit of a consistent water chem checking. I usually swap water bout 1 to 2 weeks bout 10% on average.

I am still very new with corals and learning as much as I can, but these things come to my mind...

Can you posts some pictures of your corals? What size tank? Sump? Fuge? (total gallons) Are you running carbon and/or ozone? What and how often/much do you feed? What type of lighting? Why type of water?

Calfo speaks a great deal about "chemical warfare" because we create unnatural reef gardens mixing species that would not normally be found together in their natural environment. As such, the coral's energy may be spent on offenses and defenses instead of growth. Leathers are one of the more noxious of species.

Another thing that that Calfo speaks of is that it is not uncommon for us to think our corals are growing, when in fact, they are starving and reaching out further in search of food.

With that, I will leave the opinions to the experts!

Your corals aren't growing too fast. If they're soft corals, that's just what they do (they grow fast). If they're hard corals, no matter how fast you think they're growing, I'd bet dollars to donuts they're still not growing as fast as they would in the wild.

Now, if the fast-growing coral is a xenia colony and everything else in your tank is doing poorly, I'd suspect you might have a nutrient "problem." Or, if the growth your seeing looks unusual (if it doesn't look like the rest of the coral), then your fast-growing coral might have a tumor or cyst.

But like others have said, you'd have to tell us a little more if we're going to understand why this is concerning you. :)

I was just wondering in general if there was an upper limit. Not really tring to nail down specific circumstances. Everyone talks about the corals that are not doing well so that is what you hear most often but I never ran across any 'too fast' growth problems. Most of my corals appear to be doing well. Everything I give away or trade usually does well. I know Anthony talks about coral poylp extention is not always a sign of growth and health. (And is one heck of a good speaker!) I try to look at skeletal developement/growth as my general guage for growth not how large the poylps are. I am looking forward to Macna this year should be fun to go back to the Burgh.

MAGDRL Mom
I am always learning in this hobby which I think reefing is one hobby where you can constantly learn about husbandry, equipment, animals etc. I belong to 2 reef clubs and get to see what other people do and how they run their systems oh and of course free stuff. Also if you have a problem or need help there is someone that can pitch in. The neat thing about corals and reefing in general is growing/reproduction in your critters of choice. I have some corals that I grew from buds (LPS's) Hammer,bubble,frogspawn. I also had a brood of peppermint shrimp and a brood of hermit crabs but was not prepared for the crabs at all. I look at things with a magnafying glass all the time.

Can you posts some pictures of your corals?
some in my photo gallery here but are a bit old.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_members/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8477&thumb=1
here are some at my LFS/clubs board
http://www.toofishy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

What size tank? 75 running with 2 30 breeders and a 20L on the same system
(And a 210 just waiting)

Sump? Rubbermaids

Fuge? Was running the 30's as fuges in the sense that the upper 30 was a pod haven and the lower was for algae but upper became an adoption tank and the lower became a bad boy tank.
Have cheto and grape (tangs like it it seems)
(total gallons) maybe 100 when you take in account the rocks,sand etc.

Are you running carbon and/or ozone?no/no

What and how often/much do you feed? flakes for fish twice a day and phyto/mysids/cyclopseze when I think of it

What type of lighting? PC on the 75 130 daylight and 130 actinic 1 175MH SE pendants with Iwasaki 15K (nice and crisp)and 1 250 MH SE 20K
upper 30 is a 175 MH Iwasaki 15K Luminarc pendant
lower 30 NO 30w florecent
20L 175 MH Iwasaki 15k Luminarc pendant

Why type of water?
RO/DI since the begining of my hobby career - Reef crystals - try not to supplement or chem treat any problems that arise - may dose calcium and alk when needed.

And a homemade skimmer http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16248

Way too much live rock prolly bout 200+lbs

If I would keep track prolly do 10% change every 1.5-2 weeks. But it is like when I think of it.

Thanks for everyone chiming in! This is turning into a book:lol:

Back