coral I.D. possible Trachyphyllia_geoffroyi?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

t_lynde

when I bought this guy about six months ago i was told it was a type of scolymia but further research has caused me to think it might be closer to a
Trachyphyllia.
notice the two totally seperate parts almost like siamese twins I've never found anything exactly like it.

any help I.D.ing this guy would be much appreciated

Thanks

T

000_0193.jpg

here it is having some squid

000_0181.jpg

Nice pics, I'm sure you will find your answer here with either Anthony or Kevin

Oh and by the way Welcome to RF!!

jake

pic IDs are unreliable, but this looks much more like a Lobophyllia.

Do you know too that the RF team here spent a lot of money and time to procure and upload huge galleries of images including licensed stony coral pics form the world authority on scleractinia, Dr. Charlie Veron? Please do click the link at the top of this page in red saying "coral/invert gallery" You can see many pics to compare and make IDs with.

Kindly,

Anthony :)

thanks anthony and everybody,

Actually the coral/invert gallery was how I found this site, I googled and this site had the best gallery on corals I found; great site.
So I thought I'd stick around awhile.

I found something similar but not exactly. the Trachyphyllia_geoffroyi is close but it has only one mouth section and looks to be one entity while mine is more like Siamese twins with two seperate entities, maybe my specimen is an anomoly?

41Trachyphyllia_geoffroyi.jpg

I quess I might just have to be satisfied with " I'ts an open brain type" and leave it at that, but the little scientist in me wants to know.

Thanks again,

T

Last edited:
Your coral is clearly not a Trachyphyllia my friend... a good coral book on hand in time will serve you... better than online pics by far. The difference here being that your coral has exaggerated septal teeth (the bumps on the ridges of the skeleton). Not so on Trachyphyllia.

From the RF gallery notice the/such "bumps" in Lobophyllia_corymbosa

And if you'll do a simple google image search (tag the link for images atop the search field on the main/index google page)... you will see a wide range of species, many of which looking very familiar ;)

Ok, I have a scolymia. I think its almost bullit proof. I never give it food directly. I was trying to stay away from corals I had to hand feed. Do people hand feed scolymias?

Scolymia are very hungry corals indeed - over 20% of their daily need for carbon must come from something other than photosynthesis.

yet some folks get away without feeding them if they have VERY heavy fish bioloads with heavy feeding of those fishes (and the scarps of food, feces and overall higher DOC load in the tank).

Without either of the above, most such meaty LPS corals slowly starve to death over a period of years from the small daily deficit in feeding.

It is almost certainly a Lobophyllia sp. Check out the picture in "Aquarium Corals" pg.276 (top left) and you will see a coral almost identical but in green.

Regards,
Kevin

I,m sure it's a lobophyllia. I have a similar specimen in my tank.(see pic)
They show their tentacles when they smell food. You can hang tiny pieces of mussel,mysis etc on their tentacles to feed it. But they will also do well without when they get enough light.

Yours does have a confusing shape...;)

thanks, eRPee

that certainly looks like my specimen except the shape but corals of course don't all look the same.
the behaviour you described is right on the money.

thanks everyone.

T

Back