coral ID please?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tuanp

Recognize this? Thanks.

img2532smalleb1.jpg

Scolymia sp, could be almost any color such as green, red, rainbow.
Mama always said "Browned out corals are like a box of chocolates..."

p_80615.jpg

Scolymia it is. I googled "modern coral" and kept getting hits on a book "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" (there're multiple volumes) :)

I damaged a part of it with a net while trying catch a fish, and now it's lopsided. Hope it'll grow back. Thanks.

Scolymia sp, could be almost any color such as green, red, rainbow.
Mama always said "Browned out corals are like a box of chocolates..."

p_80615.jpg

Scolymia, donut coral, modern coral; most likely all the same.

Here's a shot of a number of very happy ones....(and a few others)

Vicki

Mine doesn't seem to be happy. It opens up less and less; not even as big as it did in the pic. I tried direct feed a couple of times but it didn't take the bit of raw shrimp I gave it. Any suggestions? TIA

tuan

Recognize this? Thanks.

img2532smalleb1.jpg

Try having it lay flat instead of on it's side and it's skeleton further into the sand. It will get more nutrients and better lighting/flow.
Perhaps it doesn't like the plants tickling it?

aka sausage algae. It was all over the tank of the lady I bought the coral from, but has not grown much at all in my tank. Don't know if that's good or bad about my tank.

Cynarina lacrymalis is what you have. I have read that they are sensitive to less than pristine water. They do not require a lot of light either. Maybe try indirect light. If it wants light it will expand to get it. Try a large water change (30-50%) that almost always makes mine perk up (Cynarina deshayesiana). How long have you had it ... is it new and trying to acclimate? If you have had it a long time what has changed lately? Did you recently changed bulbs? Just a few Ideas.

Last edited:
Back