coral ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

prow

hey everyone i ordered a kenya tree coral. this is what i got. looks to be a Pocillopora Cauliflower Coral. can anyone give a ID on the genera or better yet a exact species?? my camera skills are not so good, but these pics are all of the same coral.

Last edited:
Hello,
Is is hard like a stone? It's hard to tell from the picture but if it is a soft coral it could be a Capnella sp. commonly called Kenya Tree Coral.

Regards,
Kevin

lol, i am not sure i was careful not to touch it. only by the base. hold on, now i have to go touch it.
ok its soft. so perhaps it is a kenya. just seem very compact. i put high in the tank it seems to like the lighting. and the high flow.

It's either an Alcyonium or Cladiella (I think the former) but I doubt you'll get much beyond genus identification.

Cheers
Steve

did not think i would get anything more than the genus but it was worth the try. i think i might have found it. took alot of weeding through though. i found sps, leathers and other softies all with the same common name like 8 in all and thats just looking for a couple days. anyway i now think its a Sinularia thin finger leather. hope its not too aggressive. the kenya (Capnella sp.) i wanted, i think is not as noxouis as the Sinularia, at least thats what i have read. anyone know how the Sinularia is as far as aggresstion, i know sps bother the kenya and the Sinularia is more aggressive than it but not as arggressive as a Alcyonium. i have no experiance with softies or leathers so any help about its care, mainly its placement in a effort to avoid it bothering future corals, would be greatly appreciated. this tank will be mixed, i research everything before i buy, at least what i think i am buying. the kenya was to go in a more shaded area, in rock work blocking it in from spreading or irritating others, according to Dr. Froster
"The Kenya Tree Coral relies less on the symbiotic algae within it, and depends more on obtaining outside food. Microplankton, marine snow, and dissolved materials should make up the bulk of its diet."
but if this is a Sinularia than it should, and seems too, like high flow and lots of light. not the kind of spot i had planned for it. i want to put mostly sps along the top of the rock work. all though i am just starting to stock the tank and can move it all over it seems this guy is going to want to be out in the high flow areas and is very light demanding, taking up spots i was thinking more for sps. cool thing is i only paid $50 and got this plus a small Wellsophyllia green brian and a lg. metalic candy cane (Caulastrea furcata), so price i right. should i take this guy to the LFS and trade him in?

Last edited:
prow said:
i want to put mostly sps along the top of the rock work......should i take this guy to the LFS and trade him in?
Most definately return this coral if you're going to have any success with acroporids. These types of soft coral are extremely noxious and quite limiting for their growth/health if they don't kill the acroporids outright. There are few if any soft corals I would mix in there.

Cheers
Steve

i was thinking that was the case. i will be takeing this guy to the LFS, thanks.

FYI: i don't think it is a Finger leather coral. In my book it is in a different section titled soft corals. Specifically named Purple Finger Coral. no leather. I have the green finger coral...sinularia. my book says the classification of the purple is inadequate, for it is not like other sinularias. so you may want to keep it after checking out the conditions it needs.

hummm, i will look into that for sure, thanks. i moved him into another tank for now. i like hope it fits in with the rest.

ldempke said:
my book says the classification of the purple is inadequate, for it is not like other sinularias....
While it may or may not be what has been suggested thus far, coral coloration should never be used as a means of possitive identification. Although color can steer you in certain directions, the best you can usually hope for is possibley genus identification. The only real way to ID this or any other coral down to species is through the scelatal structure or in this case, spicules.

I believe Anthony recommended...
Soft Corals and Sea Fans by Fabricius and Alderslade (2001)

Cheers
Steve

Back