Coral of the Week ~ Cespitularia ~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Its not for sale, my friend... or rather I should say: I only donate such corals to hobby clubs (when I can) for their raffles, auctions, members only prizes, etc. to help them increase attendance to such meetings.

The reality is that I produce so little of it that I could not possibly meet the demand for it. Plus, I'd be embarrassed to charge what the going rate is for it by some folks... just silly. :p

Later this year after I get a couple of books out of the way ;) I intend to ramp up my fishroom production of nifty corals on hand. I do hope to be able to share greater numbers then!

no harm in asking though :)

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Anthony

Anthony I wondered if you'd comment on something regarding these that I recently read. I'm sorry I cannot provide the citation at the moment. (if you could see my bookmarks) But the general gist was that xenids needed high bioloads to survive successfully. In this thought, the person felt that xenia worked like caulerpas etc, absorbing the phosphates and other excess nutrients and that some tanks were "too clean" to successfully propogate some types of Xenia. If you wouldn't mind to comment on that? Thanks

although some Xeniids have been observed in the wild growing in places as rank as upon the sewage effluent pipes from coastal hotels... that is hardly a requirement :p Xeniids cover such a wide range on the reef (some Anthelia below 50 feet... other Xeniids intertidally!) that any such categorical statement like "Xeniids need high nutrients" is patently false.

In fact, on the contrary... a few Xeniids examined indicate that they are some of the most near fully autotrophic cnidarians to be found. They don't even have digestive tracts developed well enough to feed organismally and can otherwise be served by the symbiotic relationship with that fab dinoflagellate/Zooxanthellae with little feeding by absorption. The shallow water Xeniids are truly sun soakers. That they can tolerate high nutrient environments is just icing on the cake :D

Ironically... the deeper water Xeniids we see in the trade which do require heavier nutrients are generally slower growing (Sansibia, brown Anthelia species). Hardly nutrient scrubbers like Caulerpa.

very good question, Mac :)

Paula,

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I've never personally kept this coral so I cannot say for sure. However, I would assume it reproduces asexually just like most other xenids. While most species of xenids have separate sexes, there are a few that are hermaphroditic. The embryo's will brood from the parent coral (usually at the very base of the coral) and usually attaches to the rock and then separates from the parent.

Paula,

Looking at Anthony's picture, look at what I've circled in red. This appears to be brooding in process.

Cespitularia_day_flash_AQ04.jpg

I have a blue/purple. That I found attatched to a later identified manatee bone. It has seperated from that bone and its floating around my 29 gallon. They are still making the finger waving motions. It also looks like another little point is starting to protrude off of the manatee bone... so...
this led me to think or assume (i know what that does) after much reading on your site or boards it could be just switching spots in my tank or reproducing.. sooo long story short any info about this interesting phenomenon.. :~) would be most helpful..
thanks
Paula

Thanks Curt! And cheers Paula

This Xeniid reproduces a number of ways... often fissionary: budding, splitting, pedal-stoloniferous like creeping of tisse.

I'd advice you to pilot a hole in a rock wit a drill bit slightly smaller than a toothpick, then impale the ree-floating frag (and any other cut or caught that way) and spear it with a toothpick into the hole. Cocktail toothpicks work best for this purpose.

Best of luck/life,

Anthony

Good morning all
All weekend I have been watching this guy... He or she which ever it looks like it is at deaths door...... but I see small areas where it appeaars to be adding a new branch will they look pitiful as they reproduce? I'm hopeing I tested everything and all tests came out well I'm at work so I dont have levels with me but all were good. this little thing has me puzzeled. parts or polyp looking things are coming off in spirts. It will look all squinched up and then fill back up not all the way though.. All my other "Brain coral" and all others are doing just fine...
makes one go hmmmmmm
;~)

This topic has been revisted my friend (do a search of my forum at Marinedepot.com for "cespitularia" threads... see the forum search tool)

Adding Cespitularia to established tanks often fails long term. This is a very weak and sensitive coral.

Back