Coral swelling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

charlesr1958

DiveMaster
Was recently asked about a LPS coral that has swelled completely, and have had one lps type myself exhibit a "bubble" formation, where it seems the entire area has pulled free from the skeletal base just as if a water bubble had formed below it. I have read of this before but have forgotten where I saw it and what it was called. I guess this is a two parter it seems.

Extreme swelling of the entire animal and Watery voids forming under coral tissue.

Chuck

Hey Chuck i am just going to tag along this thread to learn alittle more about Coral Swelling. On another note welcome to Reeffrontiers:) I got to check out your web site and found it quite enjoyable It seems you have seen and did alot:D Thanks for also serving in the Navy...Jeff

Thank you for the welcome and compliment on the site, keeps me occupied when all you working types are busy...lol, and it was my pleasure serving, got alot more out of it than I put into it.

Thanks, am really enjoying watching my gaimard corris wrasse (rusty) turn into its adult coloration, which is speeding up alot now. The acro growth just in the last month has been amazing also. Will be collecting more of the same type, have given up on the colored acro types since I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars to import a single MH bulb here. Brown will have to do. for now... will have window placed outdoor tank with NSW pumped in/out in the future. Am sure I will be back here then asking all the "what didnt I think of" questions that are sure to come up.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but i thought I would say you have a great site. I love your singapore angel. Its one of my favorite fish.

Brian

there are two different issues here... general swelling and the bubble formation.

re: the water bubble formation - its usually a damage induced reproductive strategy that (may) lead to a polyp bailout. It can simply be caused by stress (as with light shock from a change of lamps, increase in light, sudden use of carbon or water changes that drastically clarifies water, etc)... or it can be stimulated by a burn from another attacking coral, etc.

re: general swelling... aside from normal and systematic swelling that we see as a feeding strategy (expansion of a mucousal net/covering that traps food and is retrieved), gradual increasing over time to a larger "watery" size is often an indication of degrading light intensity or quality (old lamps, lack of adequate water changes, lazy carbon use, etc) which causes the zooxanthellate animal to swell in an attempt to pan for more of the weakly available light.

Anth :)

Thanks! had thought of the possibility of a feeding strategy, but first thought was a complete swelling of all tissue (LPS) may have been some kind of "flushing" mechanism as either an attempt to be rid of an irritant (poor water quality) or as a way to take in nutrients. well, just a guess...lol, thanks for taking the time to reply! Will have to write this down this time...lol

i wish i could help with the issues u have :( but i like the movie in ru site and the end was good,i'll allway to remember to save the whales:lol:

oh by the way i like the tank setup u have and welcome to RF

Thanks Tony, as you can see by the site, I have far to much time on my hands when not face down over the reefs. Just got back not long ago and thanks to the locals who stomp around in the shallows, I came home with the exact species of acropora I have been looking for, entire left side of tank now is all acros, will update the site tomorrow after they have had a night to settle in. Oh, and thought I had shaken them all out of the coral, but still managed to bring home a 1/4 inch baby dominoe damsel, to small and quick to catch now...oh well...lol, must have been choc. chip starfish day at the beach also, they were everywhere and in every possible color combo. to bad they are predators. Even had a large banded moray allow me to handle it as long as I was gentle, very good sea snake mimics. Which is why I always check to see if they are "breathing" underwater first...lol, Have a good one!

Back