coralife protein skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rthomas

Looking for some help.

I'm setting up a 75 gallon reef ready tank with sump and have a buddy that has a Coralife needle wheel 125 protein skimmer. I see that the rate flow is 500 GPH. Will this be enough for a reef tank? Thanks

In my opinion I would save money and get a better skimmer. Skimmerwhisper is the skimmimg pro on these boards so you should give him a jingle on your budget and what type of skimmer to run.

Save your money. You will want to get a better one latter. So just buy it now.
I would also like to see what the mesh wheel looks like. I have the recirculating 150, and may look into them.

that new octopus extreme has alot of hipe are there any tests on it yet and how much beter is it than the RS 80 or 100

I just bought one for my 75. I will let you know how it does. The workmanship, etc seem to be as good as any of the "top dollar" skimmers.

As poor as most consider the coralife skimmers (and I agree with them), have a friend running one with a 180 packed with fish and corals, he is quite happy with his. Perhaps he changes more water than others and keeps a huge fuge.

I can only echo what has already been said regarding the Coralife. However, I have been running mine on my 75 (lightly loaded) reef tank for the past year. It performs ok but requires a great deal of time consuming tweaking and tuning and continual cleaning of the venturi to keep the foam production high enough to do any good. I was trying to decide between the DAS and Octopus when I ordered my new skimmer (wish i had seen this thread first!) and ended up ordering the DAS since I have a good friend running the same skimmer on his tank with good results out of the box.
bob
marietta, GA

Back