Coralife Skimmer Mods

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

76Frags

Just wondering if anyone has modified the Coralife Super Skimmer. I have two lying around in my garage, and I'm thinking about modifying the input elbow that leads into the reaction chamber. I'd like to move them away from my sump a little, and rather than be a HOB I'd like them to sit on a stand. The bubble returns will just dump back into my filter socks.

Anyone have any mod suggestions? :?:

I think most folks will recommend the 'new skimmer' mod.
There isn't much you can do with them outside of mesh modding it which helps a bit. The biggest problem, and I speak from experience on this one, is that the airline plugs up with salt at the venturi and the thing goes into over flow mode. Not too bad if you have it in the sump, but totally sucks if you use it as a HOB and come home to find salt water all over your floor.

Oh I'll be the first one to stand behind the "trash" comment - I thought I got a bad egg when I purchased my first coralife skimmer and it became inefficient after 6 mos. I purchased a second one, and that sealed my fate with coralife skimmers. 6 mos. later it did the same thing. Now I'm just looking to mod them to run in my tank for extra help until i can buy a better one.

I have a 220 model on a 40b, the output is modded with pvc and the pump is meshed mod. It does the job good enough. I have a mixed reef with lots of sps. If you dont want them Ill take them off your hands.

I cant afford a new skimmer ,so I just use what I have. :) heres some pics

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

Someone once told me the best mod for these skimmers was to chuck them in the trash. I'm not exactly sure who said it though. :D

well, i think the jimi hendrix mod is best...
pour 16oz of lighter fluid on teh skimmer and ignite.

i once had a coralife skimmer melt so it was crooked because it got left in a hot car. ...stupid POS

i would normally suggest that u mesh mod the impeller and make a new venturi from the pump volute, but all thats going to do is overpower that totally useless undersized neck in the skimmer cup, and it will never(ever) be stable.

i only use mine (coralife125? ) to dose my ozone through it. it produces some nasty nog with the ozone running thru it though. my other skimmer is an eshopps 200 and am looking to upgrade that one in the future but for now its holding its own.

Hahaha.
The Pete Townsend mod might be a bit more effective, with all the smashing and whatnot. :D
well, i think the jimi hendrix mod is best...
pour 16oz of lighter fluid on teh skimmer and ignite.

i once had a coralife skimmer melt so it was crooked because it got left in a hot car. ...stupid POS

i would normally suggest that u mesh mod the impeller and make a new venturi from the pump volute, but all thats going to do is overpower that totally useless undersized neck in the skimmer cup, and it will never(ever) be stable.

So is the biggest problem with the skimmer the tube leading into the collection cup from the reaction chamber? The sedra pump seems decent.

I think it's more than that. It's really the whole design - body, neck etc.. which seems to be proven out by how inconsistent they skim. I ran one for a while and it overflowed a number of times and was never consistent on the skimmate output. If it's all ya got, it's all ya got until you can find a decent used skimmer and that is probably what you should be aiming for.

Back