coraline algea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwater newbe

sailfin
I have some coraline algea on some of my live rock that came from my LFS but it has turned from purple to mostly white. I have been dosing purple up in my tank for about 2 weeks now but haven't seen any change in my growth
i dont know what else to do ,any suggestions:exclaim:

I didn't start to really see any coraline until after about 4 or 5 months. Once I did notice it spreading it continued to spread like a wildfire! Give it some time. What lighting are you currently using?

How has the tank been setup? Has it cycled yet? If you want to speed things up a little, after the cycle scrap some of the coraline off the rock into the water column. That will help seed the tank.

Patience is the key. Mine really didn't start blooming till after 6 months without using purple up.

I agree...It takes a while to really get going and you need good water quality with proper calcium and alk levels. Also, lighting plays a role as well. Coraline tends to prefer lower lighting levels however will adjust...:)

They mean, just scrape some off and let it float around in the tank. It will reseed itself. But why would it turn white? Do you not add calcium?

I was told by my LFS that the purple up had calcium
and would promote growth

Purple up does have calcium. What are your ca levels at ? do you test how about your ALK or PH ?

With steady CA levels around 420 and 8 DKH ALK you too with a little time will have the coraline plauge

My coraline algae did the exact same thing. Turned white which I was told was dead skelton from the coraline. After about 4 months my coraline started to come in slowly (some green in the higher spots of my tank) and after about 6 months took off. Patience and Calcium is the key!

Back