Coraline build up - how do you clean the acrylic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

So I've been reefing for about three years (or is it four, can't remember) anyhow - I'm short and my tank is taller than my reach, and even with the longer handle on my Kent acrylic scraper I can't get the coraline on the lower quarter of the tank. How you DO deal with it?

Thanks!:rolleyes:

I've seen people rig up a MAG FLOAT cleaner with a plastic scraper glued to it for cleaning coraline algae

The easy blade attachment is not safe for acrylic. I have one that I use in my glass tank (works fantastic). Coralline algae is the biggest reason I switched from an acrylic to a glass aquarium. Scraping coralline off of an acrylic tank is an absolute nightmare and a lot of work. It's a piece of cake in a glass tank, though because you can use a razor blade (which is what the easy blade attachment uses).

SOB! I was so excited about the easy blade :) Dang it! Lesson learned - NEXT time, (after we move probably) I'll look into a glass tank - seems like the benefit of having a tank that two people can lift is only important for a short time, whereas the issues of scratching and all that jazz makes the long run difficult...

I believe what alot of people who have acrylic tanks do is clean their "glass" more often than us glass tank folks do, as in almost daily. I noticed that it does prevent the coralline buildup, just a little more daily maintenance tho.

Back