Coraline cleanup question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim

Mountain Goat
I recently aquired a used 180gal setup that needs some work, the problem is coraline algae is covering the entire inside of the tank, the front, back, sides, everywhere and is quite thick in some places. The tank is a Tenacor acrylic 180 with dual overflows. I am trying to clean all the coraline off and I know vinegar will work to soften it up but I want to avoid getting scratches in the tank. What should I use? I worked on part of the back with vinegar and a hand towel but the coraline itself is abrasive and seems to be putting small scratches into the surface. Am I going to have to buff out the entire tank when I am done?
I would love to hear some advice on how to do this.

Thanks,
Tim

Lay the tank so the surface you are working on is flat. Soak a coarse clothe in 10% vinegar so it's really sloppy wet. Lay the clothe over the coralline area for an hour or so inthick places, less if thinner. Come back and gently wipe the area of any loose debris and rinse with fresh water. Keep repeating that process until it's gone. No abrasions or elbow grease. Just be sure once you get close to the actual surface you do not let it sit for hours with vinegar.

Am I going to have to buff out the entire tank when I am done?

Yes.

Fill the tank with tap water, get a plastic scraper and go to town. You are going to have to buff it anyway so might as well get her done fast!

Yes.

Fill the tank with tap water, get a plastic scraper and go to town. You are going to have to buff it anyway so might as well get her done fast!

How hard is it to buff scratches out of acrylic? I haven't really worked much with it and I know there are already a few scratches on the tank.

As in mix the vinegar with a bucket of water?
Nope, just straight vinegar so be sure it's well ventilated. Should melt the coralline like butter. That means no gouges and buffing would be to polish, not repair.

What will that do to the tank?
If left to long (many many hours or longer) it might cause hazing. The acrylic would get a cloudy look to it. As long as it's only an hour or so, no worries.

Back