Coraline, whats the best way to remove it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

What is the best way to get coraline algae off the sides of a empty glass tank? Soak it in fresh water and vinager? Let in dry and scrape?

urchins love that stuff...but they also love to pick up everything else in your tank and run around with it on their backs lol

I like the cold fresh water idea, that is probably a good way to flush out my chiller as well I would think.

I thought about an urchin as well, but I decided to break 'er down instead.

urchins love that stuff...but they also love to pick up everything else in your tank and run around with it on their backs lol

LOL I didn't notice the tank was empty...quick, refill it, get an urchin and wait three months...

nah, just turn on the water hose and don't heat it up lol Either that or it may be razor blade time.

Muriatic acid will dissolve it right away if you know how to work with dangerous chemicals.
Otherwise, vinegar will do the job eventually

When I cleaned out the 12 gallon, I soaked the tank in the tub with hot water and vinegar for about an hour and then went at it with the inside piece of a mag float...Everything came off easy :)

Last edited:
I've tried cold water but didn't quite work for me, I usually just scrape with a razor blade, on glass it goes pretty quick

Back