coraline

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Belated congrads on MOTM!

It can flake off, turn white, turn purple, turn pink, new stuff be green, etc.
Make sure it is getting enough Ca and Mg, but nothing to sweat about unless a systemic major change.

p.s. Budda was not a God, just an enlightened soul

thanks i have noticed it for a couple of days that patches of it had fallen off everything ok with my calc and mag just wondered cheers mike is it?:)

Does it mainly flake off towards the top of the tank? Coraline dies when exposed to air. I have an area about an inch wide at the top of my 46 that has white coraline on it that flakes off. This is due to me not topping off the tank diligently enough...lol. As was mentioned, coraline is also dependent on Ca, Mg and Alk.

Its being exposed to the light without water that kills it. It can live with low light and no water just like any coral. To prevent this setup a drip system that keeps water level constant.
4 gallons a day means its around a 200 gallon tank?

Know my tank is around 112 gallon i am looking for a topoff system though do not know which one to get plus it needs to be around a budget i can efford at the moment due to lack of funds this month:) (WIFE LOL)

A top off unit is an easy DIY project. Google aquarium top off unit and look around at threads or images. GL..

Congrats on being MOTM Mark!

For an auto-topoff, I got a water level controller from reefgeek for $89 and hooked up an aqaulifter to it that sucks water out of a rubbermaid top-off container (that my RODI pumps into with it's own float valve) into the sump when the water level goes down.

It comes with two sensors so one is set low (to turn on the pump) and one is set high (to ensure the pump doesn't come on when the water level is too high in the sump):

http://www.reefgeek.com/product/Level_Controller_w!_Dual_Float_Sensors_by_Reef_Fanatic

It has worked great so far and is relatively cheap as far as aquarium stuff goes anyway!

Back