coralline algae removeal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have used health care cards or hotel room key card, they're a bit thinner than credit cards. Works great for me but time consuming. Also use scraper for areas I can't reach. I scrape off coralline algae wherever I can reach.

I ended up picking one of these guys up and it worked great "better for the price" i added a algae dozer to it and it scraped it right off. took ahile but it worked. There was so much algae i couldnt see the fish inside hardly. and now its as good as new

Nice! Great to hear, as we are currently working on a forum article on this subject. The Dozer pads really are worth it and like most chores, the easier it is to do the more often we do them.

Cheers, Todd

IMAG0032-1.jpg

Fixed that for you.

An acrylic safe scraper or credit card works. It's gonna take a bit of elbow grease though. <Worst part.

Awesome, was just thinking about digging up the old thread that adam started.

I have a glass tank, not acrylic, but I need a coraline scraper bad.

How exactly do these work? I have some magnet cleaners that only take off the film algae. I just put one of these dozer pads in the magnets I already have and then they will also take off the coraline algae?

rob

On my old tank, I had some coraline that was really tough. I tried a dozer but it dulled really quickly. I finally made some scrapers. Looked like the dozer was made from a piece of ABS. I have a partial 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ABS so I cut a number of pieces about 1.5" x 6-8". They worked well and had 4 edges to scrape with. My coraline was so thick, it dulled everything. I finally got it off when I drained the tank by using a brass bladed windshield ice scraper and vinegar. Won't make the mistake of letting it get bad again, though part of the problem was the inside of the tank was pretty rough after being used for 20 years.

So with these mighty magnet scrubbers....

Can I just get the doser pad and use it with magnets I already have? Or are they made to fit the mighty magnets? The magnet part of the mighty's is a hundred bucks, so would be great to know if the pads are a universal fit kind of thing....

Back