Corals losing color ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Something interesting today - I was with Hooked/Katrina from the board, and her caps look almost the same as what is happening to yours, Robert. I'll send her a link to this thread, so she can post about her situation. She changed bulb brands, and her caps took a hit. No problems with temperature, only the bulb change. Started a couple of weeks ago.

I just want to let you know guys that I have been dealing this problem for a long time.
I tell you guys, Ive tested so many bulbs, lights, wattage combination and I believe its not the lights.

Just my 02 cents that I noticed....

I usually dont feed my tank that heavy. Usually just the fishes and very lightily. Then I have a Euro 6-1.... I think my tank is undernourished.... also I am barebottom.

So right now, for the past three months, i dont have a skimmer and feed heavy as in I feed really heavy including feeding my corals, specially SPS....

I noticed dramatic changes to colors... Im still not there yet in terms of colors like other great tanks here... but at least i have some changes. Im going to continue this practice and I will let u guys know....

Cesar I feed daily probably more than I should have a DSB so in my situation I don't think it's a lack of nourishment.

Kevin mentioned something that I thought about after I epoxied the Caps to the rockwork, they should've been placed much lower in the tank... I was thinking about where they would look best in the rockwork instead of where it would be best for them :(

I'm going to reduce the photoperiod considerably and see if that's the problem.

If you have just made a change out I would let it ride for awhile. I have had it where the jaket of my bulbs completely broke off and uved my corals, the ones effected took a hit and went from very colorful to light brown and hurting. It took months to completely recover. Moving the caps down and lowering the light period will help in that recovery for sure, so just let it do its thing and keep an eye on them.

Ceasar do you have any before and after pics, I would love to see, also the food you have now gone to?

Mike

I'll try to post before and after pics of the yellow cap tomorrow. I checked and I changed to the Phoenix bulbs on 4/23--about 3 weeks ago. I'd say the "bleaching" started almost two weeks ago. Nothing else has really changed. I use Phosban, but it has not been replaced during that time period. I put a new, larger chiller in, but my temp is more stable now than ever--ranges from 78-80.

I really think it's the bulbs--why does it seem to affect only the montis (caps & digitatas)? Will the color come back, or are they dying?

Katrina Montis are more of a low lighting coral, it would seem logical that they would be the first to be affected if thier was something coming from the lighting end of the game.

Mike

Mike will the Caps adjust to the higher light levels by acclimating properly or do you recommend they just be placed lower in the tank ?

I would drop them as Kev said. If it was somekind of uv type hit (and I have heard that their has been some glass shield quality problems) one would assume that the uv protectorant pigments got hit the worst, Took one for the team and by the lightening of the corals the zoo also. Best to give them some time with low lighting to rebuild them and allow for the balance of the coral to heal. Also having them down near the bed will give them greater access to bacteria and more importantly the aminos they carry.

Mike

Mike will the Caps adjust to the higher light levels by acclimating properly or do you recommend they just be placed lower in the tank ?
I know you asked Mike but I thought I would chime in :)
Montipora corals can be acclimated to higher lighting but you may not like the way they look when they do. As a general rule corals lighten to reflect light if they are receiving more than meets their nutritional requirements. The growth may actually slow and the coral become a pale white as the coral expels most of its zooxanthellea and spends much of its energy producing MAA's (sunscreen).

With all the new bulbs rushing to the market there are bound to be production consistency issues. This can result in variations between bulbs/brands that affect the spectral output including the type (UV-A/UV-B) range and intensities. IME it can take up to 6 months for some corals to adapt to a change in bulbs even of the same brand.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanx for the help guys and gals :)
I didn't want to frag and move them since they-ve encrusted around the rock but at this point don't really have a choice :|

Back