Corals need help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I purchased these guys at the last PSAS event. I'm not sure what they are called, they look a lot like cup corals, but I know they aren't cup corals because they are very active during the day. I've been feeding them 2-3 times a week, but noticed that they seem to be coming out less and less. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? At the time of this picture, I performed a water change less than a week earlier and all my water tests came back perfect, except Ph was possibly a little high at 8.4.

The tank has pretty high flow, and they are positioned around mid-tank with T5 bulbs.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

-Sculpin

Those are dendrophyllia and they are a type of a "cup coral." Cup coral is a broad term and I think you meant Sun corals which predominately feed at night. You're right these are different. Mine act this way from time to time, due to me directly feeding it. They usually don't extend their tentacles unless they are ready to feed. You're tank placement is fine but they do not like a lot of flow.

also they are non photosynthetic so their placement near lights/in high lights isn't important though I've heard they won't open up as much or at all in higher light, though it was probably a flow thing rather than the lights

i know you said your parameters were perfect, but have you checked your magnesium levels lately?

Actually, I've never tested for magnesium. The levels I tested for were Calcium, Nitrates, Nitrites, High Ph, Ammonia, Phosphates, KH, and salt level. I'll definitely check that out.

Anything else you think I should test for?

Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are all very important to stony corals. They're all 3 as important as one another, and they all work in conjunction with one another. Understanding how each works, and the relationship between all 3 is also important. They need to be, not only at appropriate levels, but levels that are balanced among each of them.

What have you been attempting to feed them? If they're in a high flow area, try putting them in a lower flow area.

Another feeding option, is to remove them from the tank, and feed in a bowl. I use a cup to feed similar corals. I get a cup of saltwater, thaw a pinch of frozen cyclopeeze, and place the coral in the cup. Every few minutes, I mix up the cyclopeeze, to keep them suspended in the water, with a turkey baster. After about 20 minutes, I return the coral to the tank and toss out the food mix. I do this a few times per week. However, DON'T forget to return the coral to the tank!!! I did this one, when feeding the morning before leaving for vacation. My daughter, who was tank sitting, discovered my mistake, 3 days later. Unfortunately she discovered it by smell!! Kill a beautiful and large Tubastrea Sun coral colony!!

Sid's solution solves my issue with these corals, I wish I hadn't glued it to the rock :) They are really slow eaters and will "drop the food" if there is a high enough flow. My issue is: My shrimp figured that if they pester the dendro enough they can get the food, even after the coral has pulled it inside. They just reach in and grab it. I use a plastic bottle top with holes to feed and give them time to digest. I feed mine mostly mysis, and it has added two buds since the swap!

Actually, I've never tested for magnesium. The levels I tested for were Calcium, Nitrates, Nitrites, High Ph, Ammonia, Phosphates, KH, and salt level. I'll definitely check that out.

Anything else you think I should test for?

Seems like you have it covered. I always know something is amiss with my water parameters when the Dendros don't behave normally...

Back