Correct Flow for SPS?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taichimaster

Hi,
I was wondering what is considered good flow for SPS Corals. I have a standard 20 gallon. As of now, I have 2 Nano Koralia at 240gph each, Rio 350gph (for skimmer), and a stock ViaAqua powerhead from CPR Refugium. Not sure of the flow rate on the refugium powerhead. In theory, I am running at least 830gph (not counting the refugium powerhead). I was thinkg of adding two more nano koralias. I would have two on each side pointing upwards at each other.

Problem you might find with pointing powerheads up is that it forces dirt/debris down. In theory you would want those things going to the top and being pushed into your skimmer or filter. I don't know that there is too much flow, if it's not blowing tissue off the coral you are probably ok. I have a 32 gallon and I have about 2500 gallons an hour turned over in the tank. This is by far the best and fastest coral growth I have had in any tank so far.

You might even be better off selling the two nano's and getting two of the 2's. that should be close to the same flow and the fewer the powerheads the better for looks and heat.:D

I was afraid that in a smaill contained aquarium like my 20 gallon. That Koralia 2's are a little too much. It would definitely kick corals around.

Quality of flow is more important than volume when it comes to SPS corals. High velocity and constant are not nearly as valuable as high volume and alternating type flow. An on off of 10-15 seconds works well.

HTH,
Kevin

aint it the truth...

this is why im always steering people away from cl's with small unnatural nozzel outlets,
and massive oversized external high watt pumps,
and an entire pvc manifold of potential leaks, calcium clogging...

i always go for the wide flow patterns of the tunze or koralia powerheads,
and then if you want to get tricky with them, i say dont fry the pumps putting them on wave timers,
leave them on all the time and mount them to a cheap 1/2 seaswirl or if you got money to burn, a wavysea.

this way you have randomized flow patterns without losing gph of flow by alternating powerheads on an off.
the trade off is that you have to look at this whole affair in the aquarium. but i've made nano tunze pumps
on a black krylon painted pvc posts look pretty decent. i just cut a notch out of the pvc post, and ziptie the
nano tunze to the post...done. against a black background it blends in well.

Thanks Guys, for all the great input. I just purchased 2 more Nano Koralia's. I think this should be good enough flow for a small 20 gallon. No need to get all tricky and fancy with a seaswirl or Wavysea. I think that would be a waste of money for a small tank, but great idea for my future bigger tank.

Skimmerwhisper! Can I connect the Seaswirl on the return line of my chiller?

Oh im sorry, the correct awnser was tunze...

Ill take powerheads for 400

lol

Hello Gentlemen;

Is there an upper limit to flow in a Hard Coral Tank ? Should a nozzle or two be pointed down to keep settled matter in motion, etc,. ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When we are told something long enough, we tend to believe it!"

"Some Athiest, Somewhere"

Enjoy!

OFM

Is there an upper limit to flow in a Hard Coral Tank ? Should a nozzle or two be pointed down to keep settled matter in motion, etc,. ?
The only limit is to not strip the tissue off the corals. Lower velocity with higher volume can achieve the desired effect without undue stress on the corals. In an ideal situation there would be no place matter could settle because flow would be everywhere :) In actual practice we all know that can be a challenge to achieve.

Regards,
Kevin

I read a good thread on another forum talking about flow in a sps tank and several people also mentioned its more important to have easy alternating flow throughout the tank than to have massive flow.

An interesting thing happened to me a while back. I have a 90 gallon tank and I have 2 6100's on opposite sides of the tank. I was away from home for a week and sometime during that period 1 of the pumps went out on me so I just had 1 pump running. When I got home and looked at the tank I had never seen so much polyp extension as I did then. Sometimes I think when you have flow blasting like crazy in the tank its just too much. Of course I really don't claim to know what I'm talking about. LOL

There is a high point but this really depends on setup and amount of stock.The minimum amount is 15 to 20 times turnover.In a 20 this would be 2 powerheads atleast 200 gph rate. With low stock and loose rockwork then this would be fine or what you have is good.Ive seen some with 40 or 50 times exchange. But if you increase the stock and the rockwork then increased flow would be needed.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

Hello Gentlemen;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When we are told something long enough, we tend to believe it!"

"Some Athiest, Somewhere"

Enjoy!

OFM

Back