Cortez Stingrays?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SB0169

Red Volitan
I was at indoor reef today purchasing salt, and had to look around. They had 3 or so cortez stingrays. Does anyone have any insight on these? Are they ref safe? Other fish interactions? Adult size? I would like any input available. They are beautiful, but I don't want to make a bad decision. Thanks, Seth.

I know they are a smaller stingray I dont think that they are considered reef safe but I had a blue spot for a while and he never touched anything other than what I fed but thats my personal experience. I think that stingrays need a lot of flow too stingrays are great pets. Talk to Paul in there he really knows a lot .

I know they are a smaller stingray I dont think that they are considered reef safe but I had a blue spot for a while and he never touched anything other than what I fed but thats my personal experience. I think that stingrays need a lot of flow too stingrays are great pets. Talk to Paul in there he really knows a lot .

I think I talked to Paul. I'm not sure. I was told that they are extremely docile, and totally reef safe. They eat krill, and scraps that fall to the bottom of the tank.I have very good flow, and the rays I looked at were extremely active. They are so graceful and elegant, and I would love to have one, but I just want to be sure I make an educated decision.

Im not too sure about it in the 46 Seth. I think they eat small fish too. I'd hate to se it gobble up your clownfish or something.

totally a great idea! I hate buying things without knowing about them and man I have done that too many times. Hmmm I know that the blue spot I had had an extra plate in his mouth to crush shells but I dont think the cortez does so he is probably reef safe I was just going off of what I read when I was looking into them. I know stingrays love sand beds. They are so beautiful. They have a good return policy too. My stingray didnt eat for a couple weeks I think thats a little uncommon though so if hes eating right away I think youll have got a winner good luck

They are pretty docile though and if you keep him fed I dont think that he would go after anything good luck

You have a bigger tank than a 46 that he's going in right?

IR told me they get to be about 6-8 inches when adult. I am hoping this is accurate. I would not put a fish in an environment that is unsuitable. I only have the 46 now, but am looking for larger. I want my critters to grow with their environment, and would never put a large fish in a small sea!:D I appreciate your concern, and welcome your advice. I definitely don't want to make a stupid mistake, and have to live with regrets!

Im not too sure about it in the 46 Seth. I think they eat small fish too. I'd hate to se it gobble up your clownfish or something.

I was told by indoor reef that they eat krill, as well as scraps left behind. They seem pretty small, and are supposed to stay that way. I certainly don't want to risk anything else in my tank!:badgrin::badgrin:

Most batoids including Sea of Cortez Stingrays like a VERY fine sand bed and they will want tank temperatures at the lower end of acceptable reef tank temps (i.e. 76 degrees). Their mouths are actually stronger than many of their larger relatives.

Back