Couple questions about my new setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So what would happen with having a higher rate pump? Anyway to make the flow more?

Use both holes in the prefilter as drains, and plumb the return plumbing over the back. That's exactly what I did with my 120. Instead of a 1" drain and a 3/4" return, INSIDE the prefilter, I made both the 1" and the 3/4" drains, and ran my 1" return plumbing behind the tank and over the top.

The 3/4" is handling 800gph, EASY. The 1" only sees a slight trickle. I'm using a Mag 12 as a return. Keep in mind, that pump is a real good heater. If you can swing it, it would be worth it to find a used external pump. I plan on upgrading to a Sequence Snapper soon.

Well one of my friends in the area said she easily has a 1800 GPH pump on her 75...I think I may go with the AGA tank cause I'm hearing alot of iffy stuff about the perfecto.

1800gph is an awful lot. At that point, the limiting factor could be the overflow teeth themselves not being able to handle the flow.

Something to consider with AGA: They use those LAME Mega-Flow overflows. They're the large curved ones with the extremely poor design. The overflow teeth are only on the front, not wrapped all the way around. They have this silly dual-layer overflow setup that's supposed to help pull water from the bottom of the tank, also, but I can't imagine why you'd want that. In addition, the lower half just gets clogged up in time anyway. Also, since they're curved, you can't clean the coralline off of them, which is important to me (though it's not important to everyone).

That said, I have an AGA. I bought it used, the price was right. I ended up cutting off the overflows (what a pain) and putting on my own square DIY overflows so I could keep them clean, and have teeth all the way around the top, rather than just up front.

I've never heard of any problems with Perfecto, but I don't have any real experience with them. Another consideration would be Visio. If you can find a Visio dealer in your area, they are amazingly inexpensive (in line with AGA), are built much better than AGA, and aren't built until you specify how it's built (dimensions, locations of holes, etc.). This allows you to have good size bulkhead holes drilled below, and/or cool add-ons like black silicone, instead of the cruddy clearish-white stuff.

From my understanding the perfecto is a corner overflow so wouldn't that make the overflow curved too? Next time I talk to the LFS I will ask about Visio!

IMO perfecto is a better tank than aga, perfecto tanks have thicker glass, 20 year warranty if you use their stand, and mine has that black silicon that Sherman talks about, But it does have that curved corner overflow.
If you can get a custom tank built for the same price I would. That way you can put larger bulkheads in if you want a huge return.

I have a 75 reef ready and use a rio 2500 for a return pump.

Are you adding any addition live rock or only the 30lbs that has cycled?

Well I'm hoping to get about atleast 40 new pounds of rock...50 more pounds of sand. See now I heard that perfecto has thinner glass so what's the dealio here lol

If you are adding new live rock you will have to cycle the tank before you move your corals. if you add base rock with no live bacteria( it will get it from your lr and live sand) very short cycle.

If I move over the stuff from mine aka 30 pounds of rock...plus the new rock/sand how long would that take to cycle?

I added new show pieces to my display at a very slow rate, about 1/8 to 1. adding the new rock will be fine if you do it slow. Also make sure the rock is fully cured.

FYI Oceanic now has Star-fire Glass tanks with a Lifetime warranty, Also AGA brought out Oceanic, which Oceanic uses thicker glass. Also they increased the size of the overflows, so I would take a hard look at what the LFS has in store to see exactly what your getting for your money, which they also went up in price for these comparing to the regular tanks.
Joker, get as best as you can afford, get the plumbing done & worry about more flow like a CL or whatever when you get enough money, unless yo plan on drilling all of the holes up front & voiding the warranty, Just get the basic system working solid, do it right, the add the rest later JMO!;)

IMO perfecto is a better tank than aga, perfecto tanks have thicker glass, 20 year warranty if you use their stand, and mine has that black silicon that Sherman talks about, But it does have that curved corner overflow.
If you can get a custom tank built for the same price I would. That way you can put larger bulkheads in if you want a huge return.

K, now i've been told not to have too much flow in the return pump because for one the overflow isn't rated for over 700 GPH and the skimmer wouldn't be as effective..I was looking at getting a mag drive 12 now what are your opinions on this?

With head pressure depending on the height & restrictions of your Mag 12 you will loose some GPH, so you may be ok with that & use a Ball valve on the outlet to restrict it some but don't try to restrict it too much, only a little bit. If you try this with a 10g sump most probably it will be too small I'd get a 20g or 30g tank. Look in your local paper for a used tank & get it cheap. Otherwise get a Mag 9.

Edit, I see that the perfectco is rated for 600GPH, that Mag 12 will be too much, Get the tank & stand, get what you can afford & don't rush the rest, If you want to save money, save money by doing it right the first time.

The Mag12 works great as a heater, I can attest. As mentioned above, I have about 1000gph going through a single overflow with a 1" and a 3/4" bulkhead. I'm not really sure where they get their numbers from. At least 900gph is going through the 3/4" alone. Here's how I have the overflow configured:

inside+overflow.jpg

Back