CPR backpack 2 micro bubbles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Anyone have a easy cure for the microbubbles my cpr backpack 2 is putting into my office tank? Its running the stock rio 600 powerhead and has the foam stuffed into the outlet. It also has the biobale.

Thanks
Don

I think they make a box to attach to the power head to eliminate the bubbles... its kinda bulky though... I almost got one from the store but stopped using my bakpak.

I think they make a box to attach to the power head to eliminate the bubbles... its kinda bulky though... I almost got one from the store but stopped using my bakpak.

Thanks but thats just a surface skimmer. Supposed to be sort of like a overflow, Ive got one sitting in the useless reefkeeping stuff pile.

Don

Mini Fuge idea.

Don I have seen this done with Mini H.O.B. filters and other small H.O.B. skimmers take a small amount of cheatomorph (macroalgae) and stuff it in the top and try to keep some light on it ?
What do you think Don could this work for you?
Jeff

Anyone have a easy cure for the microbubbles my cpr backpack 2 is putting into my office tank? Its running the stock rio 600 powerhead and has the foam stuffed into the outlet. It also has the biobale.

Thanks
Don

I have the cpr backpac and I replaced the biobale with cheato helped alot. Also I run mine wet so the water level in there is high and I installed a wood airstone. Someone on here has the link on how to do that. sorry not me.

actually there is a cpr bubble box for the outlet, also a combo bubble box and overflow, and just overflow box. i'd get the combo box and hide the pump while your at it.
and think about a mj1200 meshed on there, much better performer...or worse if your trying to keep it mellow on the skimming:)

actually there is a cpr bubble box for the outlet, also a combo bubble box and overflow, and just overflow box. i'd get the combo box and hide the pump while your at it.
and think about a mj1200 meshed on there, much better performer...or worse if your trying to keep it mellow on the skimming:)

While I ahve you here. Is there another skimmer that I can get that has no pump in the tank?

Don

what size tank is it?
if it's under 10g, you could mesh mod a rio hang on nw skimmer:
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=28100&cat=710&bestseller

otherwise the only other small skimmers with no pump in the tank(for under $275 of a deltec mce300) is a...gulp...prism, or even worse a skilter.
both could be modified though. the prism w/the deluxe kit, and mesh modded might be decent for a nano, easy skimmer to pick up used for cheap...

but, i think your bakpak with a meshed maxijet 1200 concealed in a combo overflow/bubble box is the way to go, especially if the back of the nano is black

Its a aga 20g maybe I should try one or two of the rios? Haved you tried one? The tank will have a auto water changer that will swap out 100% per week.

Don

what about this guy...
if you dont mind the small in tank black body, it's awesome, mucho better than the rio, but a little spendy for a nano skimmer @ $135
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TZ5311.html

my buddy had a rio on a 5g and it did a good job for that size tank, i'd be a little weary of putting one on a 20, mabye 2 though.

but for a 20g there are much better options like the tunze, even the prism mesh modded would be decent, especially if you have the surface skimmer and the carbon chamber.

the other thing i like about the bakpak is that not only can you conceal the outlet and the meshed mj1200 with the bubble box/surface skimmer, but you can also put your heater in the chamber where the bio bale is now, and get it out of the tank. so on a black background, all there would be is a nearly invisible black box and whatever powerheads you have.

Easy way to help reduce micro bubbles is to increase the air input. You can try enlarging the venturi air inlet. More air means less/slower water which will reduce the micro bubbles.

I would second the MJ1200 mesh modded though. Much better than the rio

Thanks, it seems to have fixed itself. Ive had this skimmer for a few years on my kids tank. We always had nutrient issues on that tank and the skimmer never made skimmate. Last night I figured out why. Cpr never glued the funnel part into the cup. I filled it with water and it took a couple of minutes to leak out. This means everthing it skimmed was draining right back into the tank.

Don

Heres another mod thats a simple one take one of thoes elbow tubes and stick it on your outlet so when it exit it hits the surface and you wont get as much micros.A pretty easy mod to do to make things better is Take your collection cup off and put a bead of silicone around the bottom. Make sure it sticks out alittle so when you put the cup back on it will require alittle force this way water or bubbles cant ride up the side. You can do this with a rubber band too. Another recomendation I would do the mod on the pump thats shown by skimmerwhisper. Heres a thread on the octopus hobs which are practically the same as the cprs.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1260766

The octopus bh100f does not have a pump hanging in the tank and its half the price of the mce300 and preforms the same if not better.
Skimmer%20BH-100F%201.jpg

Back