CPR Bak Pak Protein Hang on Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquatic Guru

I just bought a used CPR Bak Pak skimmer for my 40 gal that comes with Maxijet1200. I got it for $86 which is a pretty good deal. I ran the skimmer now for about 24 hrs and yet no foam or anything else is coming up the collection cup. I know skimmers takes a few days to break in but maybe I'm just being impatient. I emailed the seller but he has yet to respond. Any ideas anyone? Did I just got ripped off? I also look around the powerhead and there's no kind of adjusting the flow or anything like that.

The Remora also uses a MJ1200 power head, and has no adjustment either. However, its my experience that it is more effective than the BakPak.

-Dylan

I don't think there is a flow adjustment on the bak pak. I could be wrong though. There should be air adjustment. It may take a couple of days, be patient.

Brian

I have a cpr bak pak on my 46 bowed. It works ok. I did add an airstone with airpump to increase the bubbles which increased the skimmate.

mmkeeper said:
I have a cpr bak pak on my 46 bowed. It works ok. I did add an airstone with airpump to increase the bubbles which increased the skimmate.

How do you do that? Where do you put the airstone? I have a Profile 2900 Aquarium air pump from my freshwater tank? Don't really need it? Could I maybe use that?

Slip the airline down the open side, slide the stone on the airline under the baffle so it send airbubble up the column that skimmate collection cup is on.

mmkeeper said:
Slip the airline down the open side, slide the stone on the airline under the baffle so it send airbubble up the column that skimmate collection cup is on.

All right....so.....the pump I got that I just mentioned would work right? Just one little airstone correct? Those blue ones I could get for like .99 cents at Petco?

Darn...you know what guys. I'm just stupid. I don't deserve to have a name " Aquatic Guru. Well....when I was trying to put my stupid air stone in....I kinda glanced at the Air Controller Valve again. Earlier I did turned it but nothing happen. I then realize if I turn the very top of the valve it would work. BOOM! BUBBLES!! FOAM!! Solved my case. Wasted $3.21 on an airline and air stone. Oh well...might come into good use one day. Now I'm happy with my CPR. Works great! I recommend it to anyone. Thanks for all your guys help. Case solved!

if you use the air stone you will increase your skimmate. So if you want it to work even better use it.

mmkeeper said:
if you use the air stone you will increase your skimmate. So if you want it to work even better use it.

You know what. I just might. Spent the money already. Might as well. Looks ghetto though don't you think? Haha!

Make sure you take out the venturi and clean it at least once a week, or if you see a drop off in skimmate. Clean out the hole and the three slots that suround the center column

mmkeeper said:
Make sure you take out the venturi and clean it at least once a week, or if you see a drop off in skimmate. Clean out the hole and the three slots that suround the center column

3 slots? You mean the whole skimmer?

No the venturi that connect to the powerhead with the airlind coming out. It looks kinda like a little cone with slots.

I just installed the air stone and works alot better. Thanks for the ghetto tip but it does the job. Doesn't look as bad.

Back