Crab Identification Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taichimaster

just want to know if it is reef safe. I think it is not because it is hairy all over. I heard if it is hairy all over that it is a type of crab that is not safe.

Crab

I have also noticed that the reef safe crabs have pinchers that are more flat, kind of like tweezers, and the other are more pointed for ripping. I have also heard that fuzzy is not good. Throw it in the sump or take it to a buddy with a trigger maybe. Some one might even trade you for someting, since you have it caught already.....Good Luck.
Vince

ok, let me saysomething. all because a crab is harry doesn't make it bad!

look at emerald crabs.

and then look at a sally light foot, or a blue cancer crab, or a shame face crab, or certain box crabs, or a pom pom crab, the list goes on and on.

however i do agree you should get rid of it.

ok, let me saysomething. all because a crab is harry doesn't make it bad!

look at emerald crabs.

and then look at a sally light foot, or a blue cancer crab, or a shame face crab, or certain box crabs, or a pom pom crab, the list goes on and on.

however i do agree you should get rid of it.

I learned my lesson the hard way when a emerald crab decided to shread all my xenia and other soft corals. I also had a swimming Duerma(sp) crab eat my gobies. IMO crabs are a total crap shoot.

Gorilla crab, not reef safe

Nice ID!

Gorilla, Tarantula and Decorator crabs are pretty cool. If you have a sump or a tank without corals and small fish to put him in, it would be better than killing him. Maybe I'm just crazy for liking the little critters that help make up the reef.

Back