crack in tank, how bad is real bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ratfish

I got a 90 gal tank a while back, haven't had time to set it up. It was a private sale, it checked out okay when I bought it.

However, after cleaning the layer of dust in the bottom I noticed two hair-line cracks about two or three inches long. They don't go all the way through, but I am concerned. What I need to know is if the aquarium will still hold water? Can I patch it to prevent it spreading or is the tank doomed. I suppose if I have to get a new tank the great deal I got, will balance out close to retail. Tough, but it is what it is. I just wanted to hear from the experts on what to do before I get a new one, thanks.

The question of how significant a hairline crack in the bottom of your tank is, is directly proportional to how your wife feels about 90 gallons of warm salt water on the carpet. lol. But seriously, before answering your question would want to know if it is glass or acrylic? Are we talking about a scratch or a crack? I would think if it does not go thru then its just a deep scratch. I am sure someone will say it can be patched and will hold fine, but considering a 90 gallon saltwater tank can end up holding 1000 dollars or more in livestock, and the potential cost of cleaning up from a tank failure, I would just spend 200 bucks on a new 90. Classcages has em for 225.

If it is a glass tank make sure its not a fine line of silicone that was dripped by the manufacturer. Its very common for them to be mistaken as cracks. They should come right off with a razor blade. If it is truly cracks I would buy a new tank. Aqueon/All-Glass is running a special right now and I believe we can get one for you for under $200!

it is a 90gal aqueon. glass with internal overflow. so I guess I can buy a new one if they have a special right now. is that special through manufacturer? A store? I might look further into that.

And yes it is a crack (sadly), not silicone. the largest is about 3 inches long on the inside bottom of the tank. There are two other cracks one is a scratch, other minor, but enough for me to loose confidence in holding hundred of pounds of rock and water.

The tank was thick with dust so I couldn't tell until I cleaned it. It's a heart break and disappointment and has been a long line of hang ups that have nearly derailed this tank from even starting. It will be up and running some day. I hope.

I will probably try to salvage something out of the old tank, plug holes, and sell it as terrarium only.

I would look on Craigslist. There has been 1 or 2 fish tanks that I saw for free in the Seattle area (2-3 days ago). I'm talking 75 gallon tanks too not like 10-20 gallon tanks. I would go pick them up just because they are free but I'm almost 2 hours from there. Check it out and hopefully that will save you cash and get you back on track.

IMO if Barrier Reef can get you a 90 Aqueon for under 200 i would buy it from them. THe peace of mind of having a new tank vs. buying someone elses problems off craigslist is worth the money. Besides supporting BR is a good thing. You never know what you are getting on CL, i learned that the hard way.

Just a thought,

I am not sure if this would work or not. But why couldnt you have a piece of glass cut to the dimensions of the inside of your tank less 1/8'' all the way around and place it on top of the cracked bottom pane and silicone it in place?

Maybe someone will shoot me down on this thought, but then again.......

its a thought that i thought about and should work cuz that is what the bottom is anyways. but cheap vs safty

Ahhh, if it has an overflow box then those cost more. The discounts are passed on through the supplier to our store. Give us a call if you want a quote for a 90 gallon with mega-flow. The store's number is in my signature below. We are in Renton. You could try the patch but there is still a risk.

The factory bottom acts as the structure, and the internal liner acts as additional support and waterproofing
Many times through the decades, I have done this and lesser solutions 100% successfully.
Just a thought,

I am not sure if this would work or not. But why couldnt you have a piece of glass cut to the dimensions of the inside of your tank less 1/8'' all the way around and place it on top of the cracked bottom pane and silicone it in place?

Maybe someone will shoot me down on this thought, but then again.......

IMO and it is just that, I couldn't risk it, probably because I'd worry about it more than it being viable thing to do. You still have all the other stuff that came with it, maybe that was still worth it?

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing it was cracked. I'd replace it.

Well you can cut the silcon around the glass and remove it. You can find another tank and put the overflow in and drill it out the back, usually the bottoms are tempered and you can not drill the bottom.

^ Unless its already drilled which it most likely is having an overflow. I'd replace it also. Just think of the disaster if that thing goes when you're not home. I'd either replace it or silicone a full pane on top of the bottom.

Bummer on the cracks man. That totally sucks!! I couldn't personally risk a cracked tank. I worry enough as it is with tanks being held together by glue or silicone to have to then worry about a crack! I've seen a picture years back where a tank bottom just blew out! It was a disaster! That will be a lot of weight on that tank bottom so chances are that hairline crack will just spread under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's up with Aqueon tanks? I just a a 40B crack on the bottom & it was probably a year or so old was all.

Back